Special Education/ADHD Ocd therapy


My 9 year old is ADHD Ocd coromorbid
Both interfere with functioning at school.
The school said it can't provide therapy because these are medical problems.
They want to consult with an outside psychologist but I spoke to the psychologist and he was very stern and not someone I have a sense would be good with my son.
We all need to work together.  There are many psychologists and they jumped on the first person they contacted.
If we didn't all need to be in sync it wouldn't matter but if someone is going to help bridge the gap between home and school I want to feel comfortable with them. Any advice?
They insist they need an outside consult to do an fba but I feel they're stalling.


The school district should give you at least 3 psychologists to choose from. And if you don't want to accept any of these, they should give you more names or you can provide names to them. A good outside consult may be good for your child, but only if they are the right one.

Schools often push things off on the medical people. In this case there may be some merit to this. Check with your child's medical insurance to see what they will cover in the way of therapy.  

Special Education

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Tim Runner


Questions concerning special education: IEP, assessments, Due Process, mediation, resolution conference, federal law, state law, qualifying for services, residential treatment, special day classes, resource specialists, procedures, having your child assessed, adaptive PE, speech & language, non-public school, FAPE, and tuition reimbursement.


I have been an education advocate representing students and parents for six years. My experience includes: representing my clients in IEPs, SSTs, Due Process, review assessment results for my clients, and mediations. I have represented clients with learning disabilities, autism, Downs Syndrome, cognitively challenged, emotional problems, learning disabilities, ADD/ADHD, and physical disabilities. I have also represented clients to County Mental Health Departments and Regional Centers. My clients range from pre-school to college students in many states.

I have a degree in Mathematics from the University of California with minors in Psychology and Physics. I also studied applied statistics in psychology at the graduate level. I have taught college classes, conducted seminars, written articles for various publications, and testified as an expert witness.

©2017 About.com. All rights reserved.