Special Education/ATD

Question
My son is autistic and completely non communicative. He needs a talking device to communicate at school and the IEP team agrees but requires me(parent) to get this device through the Department of Developmental Disabilities (DDD) because of the high cost of this device. I did this but it has a lot of problems and often has to be return for repair which can take months, leaving my son with no communication device at all. I read in IDEA that the school should provide this device for my son. Is this correct? If so, I could use DDD to have a device at home for him to use because even when it is working the school will not allow my son to bring it home and I cannot afford to purchase one.
Thank you for helping me!

Answer
The law allows parents to utilize insurance when parents have that in purchasing medical equipment that is needed at school and home.  I believe a communication device could be considered a medical device, but I am not sure they can require you to have DDD pay for the device.  In the case where the device is missing or being repaired it is not an excuse for the school to not provide what the IEP states he needs.  I don't know if this is defined as a needed service in the IEP but if so, they need to figure out how to have the same or similar machine available when that one is gone.  I think a nice compromise for what has happened is for you to have DDD buy a machine for home and the school buy the same machine for the school.  The school machine would then never leave the school, and probably last longer if not hauled around a lot.  

You do this by asking for an IEP meeting, where you discuss.  If they don't agree to set up alternatives for the machine repairs and service, then you have the right to follow your state's complaint procedures...call the State Department of Education, Exceptional Student Services, Complaint resolution and they can help you.  

I have seen schools not able to hire a teacher due to lack of applicants and they were still required to provide the service the teacher would require...so this machine is just as important for your son.

I wish you good luck.

Norm

Special Education

Dr. Norm Bishop