Special Education/Physical disability and the law

Question
Hello.
My son suffers from a physical disability that causes chronic pain. It's been a nightmare for us and him. So far our district has been understanding.
I have two concerns
If he complains about pain he leaves the class. I don't know if it's always necessary. My son sometimes is whiny understAndably.
Second how much school can he miss. We have had to keep him home on bad days. So far no tutor offered.
No reprimand. He's making grades but it's hard.  I don't know what the law is or how to navigate this. I feel helpless with my son. We're doing all we can for pain management.

Answer
Dana,

I'm sorry that your son lives with pain. Does your son have an IEP or a 504 Plan? If not he should have one or the other. The school is making accommodations to meet his unique needs but these need to be documented in an IEP or 504 Plan.

Leaving class: It is very difficult to say whether he really needs to leave class, or if he is using this to get out of work. The teacher may see something such as him having to leave when there is a test or subject matter he does not want to do. There is no solution to this one. It is better to error on him leaving when he doesn't need to versus not being allowed to leave when he does need to go. Where does he go? Is he expected to do school work while out of class?

If he has a medical diagnosis on file from his doctor stating what he is supposed to do when he is in pain, then the school should follow it. There should probably be a Medical Plan in place so everyone dealing with him knows the situation and actions to be taken when needed.

If his attendance is too bad, he may need to be put on home/hospital teaching where a teacher comes to your home once or twice per week to teach, and your son is expected to do homework assigned during these visits. A medical doctor has to prescribe this service and it should only be used as a last resort. He misses out on interacting with other students which is part of one's education. The district is not responsible for providing tutoring services for you son. The law allows them to do so, but it does not require this. Given that his grades are OK, they are not likely to want to pay for this.

Special Education

Tim Runner