Special Education/Special Education for 11 Year Old

Norm Bishop wrote at 2015-06-12 12:29:44
The video helps me to understand the challenges that your son faces.  To go further in specific strategies than I have done would really require me to see him, evaluate him then try some interventions, adjust until we find the solutions.  With CP the physician's input is essential as part of the team that creates the educational program.  I have suggested that most of his behavior related problems would go away if your teaching team can come up with an effective communication tool.  The exact tool would require a team doing evaluations.  

I would not want you to limit your expectations for him at this point, however, I think you should plan for all possibilities, such as potential of life beyond school that requires assistance, planning for his future employment (which may take some thinking out of the box, or sheltered workshop, etc.).  

Depending on your school structure I would put together a team of teachers, doctors and other experts in CP and create a comprehensive person centered plan.  I don't know if this sort of thing is done in your country, but it would be worth investigating.

Special Education

Dr. Norm Bishop

I have spent nealy 40 years in the area of Special Education. I have had the pleasure of teaching pre-school, elementary, middle, high school and college levels, as well as, served in school district administration buildings in classroom/legal support positions. I have also spent some time working in a State Department of Education Exceptional Student Services Office and am now currently Division Head and Director of Institutional Research at Alice Lloyd College in Pippa Passes, Kentucky. I also teach special education classes on campus. I have also taught full time teacher preparation at Northern Arizona University on the Tucson Campus, Seattle Pacific University, and at the University of Wyoming in Laramie, Wyoming. In addition to that I have taught adjunct at Seattle Pacific University, City University in Seattle, Ashford University, and Grand Canyon University.

I have experienced directly special education legal issues, process and procedure, and have taught at all levels in every special education category except gifted. My major expertise is diagnostic prescriptive teaching, literacy as it relates to disabilities, technology in special education, and Educational Leadership. My greatest passion in the field is building new programs, implementing and doing the research to see how they work. My Dissertation and principle research interest is in the area of inclusive education, primarily co-teaching of students with disabilities in the general education classroom.

Council for Exceptional Children, Association for the Supervision of Curriculum, National Reading Council.

Teaching Exceptional Children, Published computer assisted instruction, titled PAL, Special Education Basics, college Textbook, Teaching with Precision, college Textbook, Various devotionals at the website,

I have a B.A. in Secondary Education, a Masters in Special Education (cross categorical), administrative certification, and a second B.A. in Elementary Education. I completed my doctorate in Educational Leadership at Northern Arizona University.

Best Summer Program in the Nation (Honorable Mention, when I was Teaching) Multiple local awards