Special Education/g&T and special ed

Question
My son has speech problems and adhd with a para. He is amazing in math. It doesn't always show in class but yet he's scored above 90% on every exam. The school is trying to paint it like he's too difficult or "uneven" to be in the gifted program even though he's scored high on all the exams so how is that uneven? Is there something I can do? Challenging work brings out the best in my child.

Answer
Gifted programs are typically not for "gifted" children, rather those who perform at a high level academically and have good compliant behavior.  The school is probably more concerned about his potential disruptive behavior having an influence on other student's instruction.  It is not unusual for disabled students to be "twice" disabled, meaning having speech/adhd problems and having an excessive strength.  My experience with most gifted programs is that they do little to really enhance instruction, rather, are programs to allow students to do more and have some degree of say in the program.

Not all gifted programs are bad, but the match is key with your son.  I would suggest you start by finding out who your school district's gifted coordinator is, make an appointment an openly discuss your son from your perspective, asking him or her if it sounds like your son is a good candidate.  

If that doesn't work, ask to convene your IEP team and discuss potential placement in the gifted program for math.  If they don't budge then ask them what data tells them that it won't work.  The data should include classroom work, test scores, nationally normed tests in math, etc.  If they can't come up with solid data that can compare his skills with his peers, then ask for a comprehensive assessment in math...that could include the Key Math test, or Woodcock Johnson in math, etc.  The results of this assessment can potentially see how he would fit into the program.

If you are still dissatisfied you can always file a complaint with the State Department of Education, Exceptional Student Services, Dispute Resolution...they will guide you through the options and the procedures.

It is not uncommon for disabled students to struggle in one area and be exceptional in another...sometimes it takes a battle.  I wish you luck.

Special Education

Dr. Norm Bishop