Special Education/Special Education for 11 Year Old

Question
Dear Norm

I have contacted you before about Special Education for my son: well here I am again.

Without the improvements that we hoped in his life, we are at the critical stage of deciding what the best way to educate him and make his life a fulfilling one.

My son is 11 years old. He is somehwat like the by in this picture:

See the boy in the "Rifton" walker:

http://noahsmiracle.blogspot.com/2014/08/the-wheelchair-pit-crew.html

He cannot use his hands or speak, but can react, smile, cry and shout if he wants to.

What is the best we can do, please ask any questions, you must have many.

Answer
Based upon what you have shared with me and the BlogSpot, I think your son is a reasonably bright child that doesn't have the ability to verbalize.  I am thinking that the greatest thing for him would be a adaptive device that would help him communicate.  There are three basic routes.  First is a system of pictures that are on a board and he would point or direct light from some stable place like his head.  The pict system at the University of North Carolina is the best I have seen, http://teacch.com/about-us/what-is-teacch.

The second is the most expensive, that is a speaking board.  They come in a variety of levels of sophistication.  The least expensive require that he have use of his hands and fingers, but there are alternative systems that utilize forehead lights, leg movements, etc.  One web site for these is http://www.dynavoxtech.com/default.aspx.

The final tool, which I think has the most promise is an IPad app, using the IPad as the generator of speech.  An IPad mini is about $400 to $500 US, and the apps vary in price.  Here is a website with some samples...http://www.friendshipcircle.org/blog/2011/02/07/7-assistive-communication-apps-i

I am not enough of an expert in these devices, but most speech pathologists understand what they are and how to get the correct version.  The pects system can be created for very little money, or be found by searching "pects communication systems" on google.  Here is one of the pages I found searching this.  They would cost very little, but the amount of communication can be somewhat limited...if financial resources are a problem I would start here with your child's teacher.  It will be important that the home and school are teaching and reinforcing the same pects and system that goes with it.

The Talking boards as they are sometimes called, are very sophisticated and come in many varieties but can cost thousands of US dollars.  If you have insurance this may be a possibility.  You would need your medical doctor to recommend this.  I like dynavox as a company, but they are not the only provider.  

The in between cost product is the iPad with a good app.  What I don't know is whether they have created an app that doesn't require touching the screen, which would be a problem for your son.  I have seen talking boards that use light, which the child fixes usually with a band around their head, and point to the device.  

I may be way off, but if you are interested in more information, give me a follow up question and I will see what I can find for you.  In the meantime check your insurance or school to see what might be possible.  I have no idea what sort of resources exist in your country, but in the US we would start with the insurance approach.

Sorry this took so long to answer, I actually have sent it twice before, but for some reason didn't go.  Hopefully this one works.

Norm

Special Education

Dr. Norm Bishop