Special Education/technological evaluation

Question
My son received a technological evaluation in 2nd grade. They told me he didn't qualify. They never sent a report. Fast forward two years when I ask for a reevaluation.  I find out there IS a report from the original evaluation, I never received a copy, no meeting about it and in the evaluation further evaluation was recommended.  What can I do? Thanks.

Answer
Denise,
I assume you signed an Assessment Plan before the school conducted the technological evaluation. I also assume your son has an IEP. If they did not have to sign an Assessment Plan (whether or not he had an IEP) they made a huge procedural error. If you did sign an Assessment Plan, they still made a procedural error in not holding an IEP within 60 days to present you with their results -- even if they were negative.

I suggest you write a letter to the head of special education in your school district (with a copy to the superintendent) stating what happened and asking that your son be evaluated again right away. You also should ask for a copy of the findings and report from the previous assessment (legally you are entitled to this). Tell them you consulted with an Advocate and he said they were in violation of the law and that if they don't do what you are asking for, you should file for Due Process. This is the ultimate weapon, but you shouldn't have to use it. Fax this letter to the district office and get a proof of fax showing that it went through. From here on, do everything in writing. It will show them that you are preparing for Due Process.

Special Education

Tim Runner