Special Education/Testing

Question
My kid is in a regular grade school class.

My kid has speech delays some anxiety issues and dysgraphia. I'm wondering what kind of accommodations I can ask for in testing. He's bright but has trouble with essay type questions and extensive writing. But he does know the material.  I test him
At home using thoughtful  multiple choice and you can't guess correctly to get good scores. I do not want him to get super special treatment but at the same time it's not fair he hasn't a single accommodation.  What accommodations could help but also be acceptable.  Thanks.

Answer
Yoon,
You should make sure your child's school is aware of your son's areas of need. They should assess him for special education. They should select the appropriate assessments that take into account his challenges. They should also measure him in the specific areas of concern you have noted. Then once his areas of need have been confirmed with their testing, he should receive appropriate accommodations. For example, I represent students that have test questions read to them along with possible answers on multiple choice. Sometimes they are able to dictate their answers. Some have digital books so that the textbook is read to them while they follow along in the book. Some are allowed to use dictation software (Dragon iPad app -- free) that allow them to dictate their essays, written assignments, and tests to the device with converts their words into text. Some of my clients receive counseling at school to help them with their depression and anxiety. Speech delays are usually addressed by providing speech and language services to the student. The law clearly states that each student with special needs must be served in each area of unique need.

Special Education

Tim Runner