Special Education/Important q on iep


My son is in private school bc my district Stinks and we didn't agree on iep.
I can't do lawsuit because of money. I can't get aid bc I still earn too much. If I send my son back to public school
Next year can they revert to his old iep And placement or must they start fresh Eval process?  Thanks

They should reassess your son given that he has been away from their school for a year. His placement and services should be based on the results of the new assessments. You don't say when you pulled him out. If it was at the beginning of this school year, then they can use the existing IEP and placement. You can request a new assessment, but they have the right to refuse t his request.

Special Education

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Tim Runner


Questions concerning special education: IEP, assessments, Due Process, mediation, resolution conference, federal law, state law, qualifying for services, residential treatment, special day classes, resource specialists, procedures, having your child assessed, adaptive PE, speech & language, non-public school, FAPE, and tuition reimbursement.


I have been an education advocate representing students and parents for six years. My experience includes: representing my clients in IEPs, SSTs, Due Process, review assessment results for my clients, and mediations. I have represented clients with learning disabilities, autism, Downs Syndrome, cognitively challenged, emotional problems, learning disabilities, ADD/ADHD, and physical disabilities. I have also represented clients to County Mental Health Departments and Regional Centers. My clients range from pre-school to college students in many states.

I have a degree in Mathematics from the University of California with minors in Psychology and Physics. I also studied applied statistics in psychology at the graduate level. I have taught college classes, conducted seminars, written articles for various publications, and testified as an expert witness.

©2017 About.com. All rights reserved.