Special Education/length of bus ride for child with special needs

Is there a law that states how long a child with special needs may legally spend on a bus ride to school?  What is that length of time?  Thank you

Hello, Lisa,

Thanks so much for writing to me!  I found a few resources for you.  If you are in the City, the bus ride should not exceed 90 minutes or 115 minutes for out of district placements.  

But the IEP team must consider harmful effects of the bus ride as it is an issue related to free appropriate public education and these decisions should be individual for the student.  I hope these links help you!,root,dynamic,QaCorner,12,

I wish you the best as you advocate for your child's education!

Special Education

Michelle R. Davis, M. Ed.

I can answer questions about disability definitions and criteria for services, the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act 2004, No Child Left Behind, 504 plans, how to craft an IEP that drives the appropriate services, school placement, dispute options, and least restrictive environment. I worked in the public school system as a special educator and am now in private consulting practice where we assist parents as they navigate the special education process. I have expertise in all educational disabilities except blind/visual impairments and deaf/hard of hearing. This includes ADHD and other health impairments, medical conditions, dyslexia and learning disabilities, Autism, emotional disabilities, language processing problems, and interfering behaviors.

10 years as special educator and administrator in public school system; Director of ABCs for Life Success since 1998; Expert services such as analysis and testimony; Author: Special Needs Advocacy Resource Book: What you can do now to advocate for your exceptional child's education; Special Needs Advocacy Training Institute; internet radio show Teach Your Children Well: Hot Topics in Education; author School Success for Kids with Emotional and Behavioral Disorders released March 2010 (Prufrock Press).

Masters in Special Education with Emphasis on Inclusive Education (Johns Hopkins University); Special Education (James Madison University); Conduct training for Universities, public and private schools, parent groups. Adjunct professor current George Washington University and prior George Mason University.