Special Education/speech therapy


My son has an A.S.D and really poor speech for his age (9)
He currently has daily speech but 4 are group. I like group but instead of games it seems to be too much balancing all the needs.  I think he needs more individual. Also the sessions are only 30 minutes. The school said its all they can do. Is that true? How can I get more help? My son talks like he's 4.

The law clearly says that the schools are supposed to supply the student the services needed based on his unique needs. Clearly you son is being underserved. But the school obviously does not agree. Their stating, "It's all we can do" does not meet the requirements of the law. But they know it may take you having to file for Due Process to force them to do more. Their speech pathologists will testify that their current level of services is all your son requires.

Most medical insurance plans will pay part or all of the cost of a speech and language assessment. Try to have an assessment completed for your son. Ask that the assessor specify what level of services they recommend, both private and group. Then submit the report to your district. The law only says they must consider it. But if it recommends more than they are doing, you have a basis for seeking more services. It also shows them you are ready to file for Due Process if you have to.

Once you have your own report you can also ask for an Independent Educational Evaluation (IEE) in the area of speech and language. If they agree, you jointly agree to an assessor and they pay for the assessment. Keep in mind that they still don't have to follow the recommendations of the IEE assessor. But this puts you in a much stronger position in filing for Due Process, and they will know it. There is a risk with seeking an IEE, the district can file for Due Process against you claiming there is no need for an IEE. But if you have your independent assessor report, they would be foolish to do so. It costs them thousands of dollars in legal fees to file. The IEE would be less costly.

Special Education

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Tim Runner


Questions concerning special education: IEP, assessments, Due Process, mediation, resolution conference, federal law, state law, qualifying for services, residential treatment, special day classes, resource specialists, procedures, having your child assessed, adaptive PE, speech & language, non-public school, FAPE, and tuition reimbursement.


I have been an education advocate representing students and parents for six years. My experience includes: representing my clients in IEPs, SSTs, Due Process, review assessment results for my clients, and mediations. I have represented clients with learning disabilities, autism, Downs Syndrome, cognitively challenged, emotional problems, learning disabilities, ADD/ADHD, and physical disabilities. I have also represented clients to County Mental Health Departments and Regional Centers. My clients range from pre-school to college students in many states.

I have a degree in Mathematics from the University of California with minors in Psychology and Physics. I also studied applied statistics in psychology at the graduate level. I have taught college classes, conducted seminars, written articles for various publications, and testified as an expert witness.

©2017 About.com. All rights reserved.