Special Education/1:1


Hello, I have an 8.5 year old doing very poorly in his special ed class. I do not believe moving him to a lower functioning class is what he needs. It'd be brutal on him.  He needs 1:1 tutoring. The para is not equipped to teach yet this is exactly what they do, break up the class of 12 into groups of 3 and have someone inept teach them. My son is very verbal (in some ways MORE so that all peers) and social (he makes friends easily but can be overbearing during play) but struggles from various mild sometimes moderate behavioral problems stemming from his adhd ocd and auditory processing. He writes great stories and has scored very superior in certain verbal subsets.  Math is a big problem. He clearly has a math ld.  I think reading comprehension is actually okay but only when he reads something he enjoys. In my day, we had resource rooms for subjects and kids weren't segregated like today and things seemed to work better. Is there any way I can advocate for a couple of hours of tutoring. I think it'd make a huge difference. Thanks!

It is almost impossible to have the school district pay for tutoring. Some of the students I represent are receiving tutoring from other students (typically older kids that are doing very well in their academics). But it is not universally available. Many schools still offer Resource Classes, like the ones you describe. But they are intended to serve students that are not far behind and do not present behavioral challenges. They typically have 12-16 students and are taught by one teacher. Your son's ADHD and OCD may make this placement inappropriate for him. It also depends on his assessment scores in academics. I have some students I represent who are in Resource classes with a 1:1 aide to help them stay focused. But districts fight this due to the cost. If you have not done so, you should call for an IEP and air your concerns and complaints. From now on, any IEP's should be recorded by you. The law says you must notify the school 24 hours in advance that you are recording. Most phones have an app available that will enable you to record the meeting. You are going to have an uphill battle. You may need to consider having an advocate represent you and your son.

Special Education

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Tim Runner


Questions concerning special education: IEP, assessments, Due Process, mediation, resolution conference, federal law, state law, qualifying for services, residential treatment, special day classes, resource specialists, procedures, having your child assessed, adaptive PE, speech & language, non-public school, FAPE, and tuition reimbursement.


I have been an education advocate representing students and parents for six years. My experience includes: representing my clients in IEPs, SSTs, Due Process, review assessment results for my clients, and mediations. I have represented clients with learning disabilities, autism, Downs Syndrome, cognitively challenged, emotional problems, learning disabilities, ADD/ADHD, and physical disabilities. I have also represented clients to County Mental Health Departments and Regional Centers. My clients range from pre-school to college students in many states.

I have a degree in Mathematics from the University of California with minors in Psychology and Physics. I also studied applied statistics in psychology at the graduate level. I have taught college classes, conducted seminars, written articles for various publications, and testified as an expert witness.

©2017 About.com. All rights reserved.