Special Education/Panic disorder


Hello. Not sure if answers vary by state but my daughter is 10 with panic disorder. It's serious enough that I've asked her doctor to authorize homebound instruction. Frankly given that it took on average two hours to get my daughter calm and they LIED about the frequency, I'm appalled the school didn't suggest this.  With a medical note do they have a legal obligation to do homebound or would I need to go to court? I honestly have no idea how it works. The doctor says he's put other kids on homebound but never in  my district so he cannot speak for that. It's humiliating my daughter to have everyone see her this way and we've tried many meds interventions etc. The school staff pile on her and do little but draw attention. She barely works there though she is an avid reader and above average IQ but it's not from school.  I don't want to cave to my daughters anxiety but she is overwhelmed and I know it's not her fault.

Homebound instruction usually goes by the name "Home/Hospital" placement. A medical doctor (M.D.) must order this. Once it is ordered, it must be implemented by the school district (under the law). Most school districts have a form they have the doctor complete. The concept is to provide teaching comparable to what the child receives at school, but in the home or the hospital when medically needed. It is meant to be temporary until the medical condition improves and the student can return to school.

There are some serious limitations to this form of receiving an education. The school is only required to provide one hour per week of instruction for each class. The concept is that because the student is receiving one on one instruction, less time is required for teaching. The student is expected to do all the homework assignments on their own. The home/hospital teachers don't have to be credentialed as special education teachers. The student has little or no contact with other students. The parent has to provide supervision for the student while home.

This can be a temporary fix for your daughter. But I encourage you to look into an online school for your child. They will get more instruction usually on a daily basis as well as teachers to contact when they have problems. There is no cost to these schools. K12 is the name of one of these that operate in NY.  

Special Education

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Tim Runner


Questions concerning special education: IEP, assessments, Due Process, mediation, resolution conference, federal law, state law, qualifying for services, residential treatment, special day classes, resource specialists, procedures, having your child assessed, adaptive PE, speech & language, non-public school, FAPE, and tuition reimbursement.


I have been an education advocate representing students and parents for six years. My experience includes: representing my clients in IEPs, SSTs, Due Process, review assessment results for my clients, and mediations. I have represented clients with learning disabilities, autism, Downs Syndrome, cognitively challenged, emotional problems, learning disabilities, ADD/ADHD, and physical disabilities. I have also represented clients to County Mental Health Departments and Regional Centers. My clients range from pre-school to college students in many states.

I have a degree in Mathematics from the University of California with minors in Psychology and Physics. I also studied applied statistics in psychology at the graduate level. I have taught college classes, conducted seminars, written articles for various publications, and testified as an expert witness.

©2017 About.com. All rights reserved.

[an error occurred while processing this directive]