Special Education/Bus

My son receives busing to a school 10 min away. Bus ride is 70 minutes. Not only does it exhaust him but he's complaining of pains from the seatbelt. He's NEVER been violent or rowdy. Does he HAVE to be belted? I've seen kids without their belts. It's not like a car.  Is their anything I can do legally about the ride length?

Hello, Candace, Thank you so much for a great question about special transportation. I am sorry for my delay in my response!

Your child is on a bus for 140 minutes per day and you want to know if that is appropriate. You would also like to know if he has to wear a seat belt.

The IEP team decides what devices, if any, the student requires on the bus. Check your child's IEP to see if anything is documented. If not, I would advise you to call a meeting specifically to discuss transportation. In NYC, there is a 90 minute limit within a borough but I am not sure if you are in NYC.

The length of a bus ride can relate to a child's free appropriate public education so it would be important for you to ask the administration of the rules and laws related to your school district. If you would like to tell me where you live, I can be more specific.

What negative effects of the bus ride does your child experience? If there is a medical or fatigue issue, you may need to get a doctor to prescribe a shorter ride.

I am happy to answer a follow up question. I wish you the best as you advocate for your exceptional child's education! Thank you once again for reaching out to me and using this service.  

Special Education

Michelle R. Davis, M. Ed.

I can answer questions about disability definitions and criteria for services, the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act 2004, No Child Left Behind, 504 plans, how to craft an IEP that drives the appropriate services, school placement, dispute options, and least restrictive environment. I worked in the public school system as a special educator and am now in private consulting practice where we assist parents as they navigate the special education process. I have expertise in all educational disabilities except blind/visual impairments and deaf/hard of hearing. This includes ADHD and other health impairments, medical conditions, dyslexia and learning disabilities, Autism, emotional disabilities, language processing problems, and interfering behaviors.

10 years as special educator and administrator in public school system; Director of ABCs for Life Success since 1998; Expert services such as analysis and testimony; Author: Special Needs Advocacy Resource Book: What you can do now to advocate for your exceptional child's education; Special Needs Advocacy Training Institute; internet radio show Teach Your Children Well: Hot Topics in Education; author School Success for Kids with Emotional and Behavioral Disorders released March 2010 (Prufrock Press).

Masters in Special Education with Emphasis on Inclusive Education (Johns Hopkins University); B.S.in Special Education (James Madison University); Conduct training for Universities, public and private schools, parent groups. Adjunct professor current George Washington University and prior George Mason University.