Special Education/Question iesp


I homeschooled my son last year because the school was bad. He had evaluations last year. If I want services from the school do I need to redo the evaluations annually or is every three years sufficient? I don't know the law. They said I have to do the evals. Also is there any law that says I cannot be present?

Hi Daniel,

Thank you so much for reaching out to me and for using allexperts.com services. I am very sorry for my delay in my reply to your question about homeschooling and re-enrolling your child to receive special education and related services.

There are basically two ways to obtain services from the school district. One is to enroll your child as a homeschooling student and receive a services plan, which is different from the Individual Education Plan (IEP). I think that may be your question based on your subject line. Another is to have services based on your child's status in homeschooling which is considered a private school. You may be eligible to receive some funding and services.

But I would have to know your state in order to guide you. Can you ask me a follow up and provide your state?

To answer your other question, the school team must consider all information parents provide. If you make a written referral for special education services, the multidisciplinary team should meet and consider all the current and testing information. The school team may simply utilize your private reports to determine eligibility, or the school team may recommend that additional testing needs to be done, to determine eligibility or to answer other diagnostic questions.

It would only be the case that you had to do the evaluations at your expense if, for some reason, the team met and determined evaluations are not needed. While the parent can obtain private testing any time, the school district's obligation is to consider the reports.

I am not sure what your last question is asking. Is the question about your presence related to you being in the evaluation room with your child or is it related to your presence in meetings? Kindly let me know with the follow up and I will do my best to give you an awesome answer.

I hope this has helped you as you teach and advocate for your child! Thank you again so much for writing to me!

Special Education

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Michelle R. Davis, M. Ed.


I can answer questions about disability definitions and criteria for services, the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act 2004, No Child Left Behind, 504 plans, how to craft an IEP that drives the appropriate services, school placement, dispute options, and least restrictive environment. I worked in the public school system as a special educator and am now in private consulting practice where we assist parents as they navigate the special education process. I have expertise in all educational disabilities except blind/visual impairments and deaf/hard of hearing. This includes ADHD and other health impairments, medical conditions, dyslexia and learning disabilities, Autism, emotional disabilities, language processing problems, and interfering behaviors.


10 years as special educator and administrator in public school system; Director of ABCs for Life Success since 1998; Expert services such as analysis and testimony; Author: Special Needs Advocacy Resource Book: What you can do now to advocate for your exceptional child's education; Special Needs Advocacy Training Institute; internet radio show Teach Your Children Well: Hot Topics in Education; author School Success for Kids with Emotional and Behavioral Disorders released March 2010 (Prufrock Press).

Masters in Special Education with Emphasis on Inclusive Education (Johns Hopkins University); B.S.in Special Education (James Madison University); Conduct training for Universities, public and private schools, parent groups. Adjunct professor current George Washington University and prior George Mason University.

©2017 About.com. All rights reserved.

[an error occurred while processing this directive]