Special Education/Speech

What is the max speech a school can provide? My sons three years behind in speech and only has speech 4x a week and two are group and sessions are 30 min

Hello Jamie,

Thanks so much for your question about your child's speech and language therapy services. There is no maximum or minimum for related services as the multidisciplinary team must recommend and provide the amount of related services for your child to receive benefit from his/her special education program. While some states do specify group vs. individual services in the IEP, other states do not have that requirement and leave it up to the school staff. In your consideration for SLP therapy, consider also if your child actually needs additional special education services. An example may be expressive or receptive language skills related to literacy. If your child needs additional services, it may be he or she needs additional special education and related services.

Here is the federal law on related services.

For a preschool child, the question whether he or she is benefiting from the special education program can be tricky because some children are receiving home based services and others are in preschools. Overall, it would be important to chart out data related to your child's progress because your child is entitled to a free appropriate public education including the right to make meaningful progress. Also, if the school district evaluations recommending a certain level of service are not appropriate, you may need to consider getting a second opinion, either at your expense or at the school district expense.

Here is federal law on that topic.

Note the difference between an Independent Educational Evaluation (IEE) and IEE at public expense.

I apologize for my delayed response!  I forgot to set the site for 'out of office' mode for a few days while I was traveling. I hope this has helped you and wish you the best as you advocate for your exceptional child's education!

Special Education

Michelle R. Davis, M. Ed.

I can answer questions about disability definitions and criteria for services, the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act 2004, No Child Left Behind, 504 plans, how to craft an IEP that drives the appropriate services, school placement, dispute options, and least restrictive environment. I worked in the public school system as a special educator and am now in private consulting practice where we assist parents as they navigate the special education process. I have expertise in all educational disabilities except blind/visual impairments and deaf/hard of hearing. This includes ADHD and other health impairments, medical conditions, dyslexia and learning disabilities, Autism, emotional disabilities, language processing problems, and interfering behaviors.

10 years as special educator and administrator in public school system; Director of ABCs for Life Success since 1998; Expert services such as analysis and testimony; Author: Special Needs Advocacy Resource Book: What you can do now to advocate for your exceptional child's education; Special Needs Advocacy Training Institute; internet radio show Teach Your Children Well: Hot Topics in Education; author School Success for Kids with Emotional and Behavioral Disorders released March 2010 (Prufrock Press).

Masters in Special Education with Emphasis on Inclusive Education (Johns Hopkins University); B.S.in Special Education (James Madison University); Conduct training for Universities, public and private schools, parent groups. Adjunct professor current George Washington University and prior George Mason University.