Special Education/Standardized Testing

Question
My son has a diagnosis of autism and attends highschool in a self-contained classroom with three teachers and several aids.  We were recently notified that about half of the students at the school will be participating in standardized testing on April 19 (PARCC).  Since my son will not take the tests, the day is a "non-attendance" day for him.  I should mention that the same instruction is being made to the students without disabilities who will not be taking PARCC.  

My question, is this a violation of FAPE?  Why should my son lose a whole day of instruction just because other students are testing?  He doesn't do well when his school routines are changed, not to mention that my husband and I both work, and neither of our other two kids has the day off.  How can they justify doing this?

I realize that I will probably lose this fight, but I would really like to call the school to task on this.  We have my son's IEP the day before on April 18th, so I will have a full audience.

Many thanks for any help you can provide.

Answer
If the only reason that your son isn't taking the PARCC test is a result of his disability, which I am assuming that it is, then his right to a Free Appropriate Public Education is being denied.  However, if there are some non-disabled students not taking the test for other reasons, that it gets muddy because the tests are statewide intended to satisfy the regulations of another federal law, and in this case they are bumping against each other, thus I suspect a hearing and a court fight would not end in your favor.

There is also the Koenig case, which states that upon the tenth day of being denied school, a student is considered to have a "program change."  Which requires the approval of the IEP Team.  This case is related to discipline, which this is not, but other cases have used it.  The kicker here is that the school can discipline for 9 days, either cumulative for that school year or consecutively, but on that 10th day then the IEP team decides if the suspension, expulsion or other denial of school is a result of the disability, if it is then the child returns to school.  I doubt this is the 10th day of exclusion, so based on this part of the law, the school has 8 more days to work with.  

Technically, however, I think your son is being denied FAPE.  Realistically, you would need to get to a pretty high level of court, at least appeals before the ruling would get that fine.  I suspect at a lower court level they would not want to open this can of worms for future similar cases.  You might want to call your State Department of Education, Exceptional Student Services and ask them what they think.  The law itself is a bit inconsistent in this area, especially when you look at the discipline clauses, so I think it is really splitting hairs.  

I also think it is much better for your son to NOT take the PARCC Test.  It would be very frustrating to him, as I believe it is for most students.  Therefore, I would be grateful that my son doesn't have to take it and find a situation where he can be cared for and still experience learning.  

One more thought, however.  I wonder if every student who doesn't get a day of school because they aren't part of the test, disabled or not, are being denied their right to a Free Appropriate Public Education.  That right is every student's, not just disabled students!  Hum!!!

Special Education

Dr. Norm Bishop