Special Education/Observing

My child's year going poorly. Very
Am i entitled to observe
If so how long and how often per year
I need to see what going on

Parents are allowed to observe their children at school. They have to abide by their school district's policies, so long as they are reasonable. Most district ask that you schedule your visit at least one day in advance. They may also limit the time you can spend observing and most want an administrator to accompany you. Obviously you must try not to disrupt the class you are observing. Some district try to limit the number of times per semester or year that you can observe. These restrictions are not supported by the law. But, just as you would not like to have too many other parents observing your child's class each week, you can understand the need for some restraint. Most districts have policies that you can review including ones for visitations.

I tell my clients to attempt to observe during the middle of the week to see typical subjects and to make sure they are not observing during breaks. If your child is having problems in one subject area, say math, I tell my clients to attempt to schedule their observations during the time this subject is being taught. I also encourage my clients to become volunteers in their children's classes. When doing this, you should restrain from doing things with you child unless the teacher instruct you to do so.

Special Education

Tim Runner

Questions concerning special education: IEP, assessments, Due Process, mediation, resolution conference, federal law, state law, qualifying for services, residential treatment, special day classes, resource specialists, procedures, having your child assessed, adaptive PE, speech & language, non-public school, FAPE, and tuition reimbursement.

I have been an education advocate representing students and parents for six years. My experience includes: representing my clients in IEPs, SSTs, Due Process, review assessment results for my clients, and mediations. I have represented clients with learning disabilities, autism, Downs Syndrome, cognitively challenged, emotional problems, learning disabilities, ADD/ADHD, and physical disabilities. I have also represented clients to County Mental Health Departments and Regional Centers. My clients range from pre-school to college students in many states.

I have a degree in Mathematics from the University of California with minors in Psychology and Physics. I also studied applied statistics in psychology at the graduate level. I have taught college classes, conducted seminars, written articles for various publications, and testified as an expert witness.