Special Education/private school

Question
This may sound like a weird question but why do schools refuse private placement when their own placement is costing them the equivalent? My distrct has failed. You can actually calculate what they are spending on my son which includes a costly para professional. The salaries are available online. They are refusing a private placement that costs the same as the para's salary, That's not including whatever else they spend. I can't afford this school on my own without incurring heavy debt. What does someone do to obtain private placement? Does this mean hiring a costly lawyer? Thank you.

Answer
Business card
Business card  
My experience is that school districts fight private school placements no matter what. The challenge parents face is that districts have to pay most of the costs of educating your child no matter where you child goes to school. They have to pay for: facilities; operating costs such as utilities; supplies and equipment; teachers' compensation; and direct service people such as speech therapists, OT's, etc. The only true variable cost is for the para professional, which is typically a low paid position.

I think ego gets in their way as well: They believe they are the professionals who best how to educate your child. I have fought many battles for getting districts to pay for private placements. It is always an uphill fight. I have won many of these battles, but only if we can prove with data that the student is not making educational progress. Unfortunately, this bar is set very low because the requirements is only for "some educational progress." I have also won in cases where the safety of the student, other students, and/or staff are in jeopardy.

There are some other legal hurdles facing parents. Schools are legally precluded from placing students in religiously affiliated schools. I have to warn parents that in some cases, private schools are not the answer. I represent some students that have not done well in private schools. Sometimes the private schools are not set up to provide special classes, trained special education teachers, and direct services, such as speech and OT.

Bottom line: It takes a fight which usually requires hiring an experienced advocate or lawyer. I have had to file for Due Process in all but two cases. When my case is strong enough, I have sometimes been able to settle in Mediation prior to going to hearing, but this usually involves the parents paying for some of the costs of the school.

Sorry my news is not any better.

Special Education

Tim Runner