Special Education/Eval

Question
Thanks for the answer. I want to conduct privately because I don't trust the school. They have conducted all the evaluations to date and it's not gotten us anywhere. It's like a check mark. Nothing is learned from it.  I understand I may not be reimbursed. My son is going into 3rd grade. He hasn't had evaluations since prek through early intervention. They weren't even going to do it just the usual testing. If you have any other advice let me know. Thanks.

Answer
Advocate for Kids
Advocate for Kids  
Dorian,

The district is required by law to conduct assessments in all areas of suspected disability every three years. I encourage you to remind them of this requirement. Then when you conduct your private assessment you can compare your results to the district's. Your assessor should present his or her results to the IEP Team so they have the opportunity to ask questions. This will assure that the test results are in your son's special education record. If your results and the district's results are different, you will have the right to ask for an IEE conducted by a mutually agreed to assessor.

I agree that it is very important to know as much as you can about your son's challenges.  

Special Education

Tim Runner