Special Education/Eval


Thanks for the answer. I want to conduct privately because I don't trust the school. They have conducted all the evaluations to date and it's not gotten us anywhere. It's like a check mark. Nothing is learned from it.  I understand I may not be reimbursed. My son is going into 3rd grade. He hasn't had evaluations since prek through early intervention. They weren't even going to do it just the usual testing. If you have any other advice let me know. Thanks.

Advocate for Kids
Advocate for Kids  

The district is required by law to conduct assessments in all areas of suspected disability every three years. I encourage you to remind them of this requirement. Then when you conduct your private assessment you can compare your results to the district's. Your assessor should present his or her results to the IEP Team so they have the opportunity to ask questions. This will assure that the test results are in your son's special education record. If your results and the district's results are different, you will have the right to ask for an IEE conducted by a mutually agreed to assessor.

I agree that it is very important to know as much as you can about your son's challenges.  

Special Education

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Tim Runner


Questions concerning special education: IEP, assessments, Due Process, mediation, resolution conference, federal law, state law, qualifying for services, residential treatment, special day classes, resource specialists, procedures, having your child assessed, adaptive PE, speech & language, non-public school, FAPE, and tuition reimbursement.


I have been an education advocate representing students and parents for six years. My experience includes: representing my clients in IEPs, SSTs, Due Process, review assessment results for my clients, and mediations. I have represented clients with learning disabilities, autism, Downs Syndrome, cognitively challenged, emotional problems, learning disabilities, ADD/ADHD, and physical disabilities. I have also represented clients to County Mental Health Departments and Regional Centers. My clients range from pre-school to college students in many states.

I have a degree in Mathematics from the University of California with minors in Psychology and Physics. I also studied applied statistics in psychology at the graduate level. I have taught college classes, conducted seminars, written articles for various publications, and testified as an expert witness.

©2017 About.com. All rights reserved.

[an error occurred while processing this directive]