Special Education/Home work, tutoring


My son's in an integrated class.  I am helping him
With homework I thinks excessive. He can't do it alone.
I want to know what kind of hw accommodations can be provided bc this isn't fair to me.

I have to assume that your son has an IEP and is in a class of fellow special ed students along with general education students. You need to ask for an IEP Team Meeting where you have the team address your son's situation with homework. They should explore tutoring, study skills class (in middle and high schools), and having a high achieving student tutor you son after school hours. I have been able to achieve these things for many of the students I represent.

The law says that the school is responsible for providing each special education student a "Free and Appropriate Public Education (FAPE)." It does not require parents to provide extensive homework support. But it is your responsibility to tell the IEP Team what is going on and ask that they provide the help needed. Since your son is achieving passing grades, thanks to your help, the school is not aware of the truth about how much you are having to help.

They should also consider an Accommodation for him limiting the amount of homework he has to do. I have many students I represent with this in their IEPs. For example, for math homework it is common to have the student only do every other problem rather than all the problems and reduce the required length of written assignments. They are also allowed extra time to complete homework assignments. It should not be your responsibility to work constantly with your son to accomplish his homework.

Special Education

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Tim Runner


Questions concerning special education: IEP, assessments, Due Process, mediation, resolution conference, federal law, state law, qualifying for services, residential treatment, special day classes, resource specialists, procedures, having your child assessed, adaptive PE, speech & language, non-public school, FAPE, and tuition reimbursement.


I have been an education advocate representing students and parents for six years. My experience includes: representing my clients in IEPs, SSTs, Due Process, review assessment results for my clients, and mediations. I have represented clients with learning disabilities, autism, Downs Syndrome, cognitively challenged, emotional problems, learning disabilities, ADD/ADHD, and physical disabilities. I have also represented clients to County Mental Health Departments and Regional Centers. My clients range from pre-school to college students in many states.

I have a degree in Mathematics from the University of California with minors in Psychology and Physics. I also studied applied statistics in psychology at the graduate level. I have taught college classes, conducted seminars, written articles for various publications, and testified as an expert witness.

©2017 About.com. All rights reserved.