Special Education/Course acceleration

Question
Hello. I'm not sure that this falls under special education, but I wasn't sure who else to ask. My son is going into 8th grade in Texas. He is both exceptionally gifted and on the autism spectrum. This summer, he passed several Credit by Examination in math, and therefore is several years ahead in math. The district is proposing that he go to the high school in the morning for precalculus and then return to middle school for,the remainder of his day. They will not provide transportation and I am unable to get him from the high school to the middle school every morning due to my work schedule. I proposed that he either study math online (independently at the middle school, with a teacher assigned for consultation) or that he take an elective instead of math this year. I'm told that neither option is possible. Just wondering if it's true that he's unable to skip math for a year when he's already several years ahead. He will continue to study independently at home regardless of the decision,
Thanks for your help.
Michelle

Answer
Hello, Michelle and thank you for writing to me about your son. Since it appears your son has an IEP, and the IEP team must decide the 'placement', transportation should be provided. If they refuse, maybe consider setting up Uber or taxi for your son and asking the school district to reimburse you. You may have to seek a mediation for this, but I would try first with the special education supervisor who oversees the middle school. I would not like to see an interruption in his math curriculum since this is obviously an area of giftedness and the school district and all of us will benefit from his great math mind!

I hope this helps you! I wish you all the best as you advocate for you exceptional child's education!

Special Education

Michelle R. Davis, M. Ed.