Specialty Retailers/suppliers

Hi i'm looking to start a small bussiness, my idea is to sell franchise hats(NHL,MLB,NFL,NBA,NASCAR)but i can't seem to find any suppliers online my search always brings me to sites like tradekey, do you know how i can obtain this info thank you.

Hello Jeff,

Finding information in the land of Google can be a challenge.  What you are looking for is a wholesaler, distributor, or manufacturer.  I am not sure who the major players are in the distribution and importing of this gear.  You could try http://www.wholesalecentral.com/ for a start - this is a great resource that I have used in the past.  

Alternatively, find some retailers who sell the products you are looking for, and try one of these things:

1.  Check labels on the merchandise etc - often this will point you to a distributor or manufacturer.

2.  Ask.  Have a chat with a retailer - compliment the store, and if you can strike up a conversation, ask which distributor/supplier they use.  

3.  The cardboard box ploy - ask a store that sells a lot of this gear if they have any empty cardboard boxes that you could use for packing some gear in.  Often they will take you to the area they keep the boxes, and you can help yourself.  Most of the boxes will have freight labels still on them, which will state where the goods were shipped from (this is the manufacturer or supplier).  If they say the boxes are broken down, tell them it's OK, you prefer them that way.

If that does not work, try some different search terms on Google, such as 'importer' or 'distributor'

All the best with starting your new business!  Check out my blog for other retail advice (http://www.retailprosperity.com)

Specialty Retailers

Stu Jordan

Simply put, I help Retailers make more profit! You will NOT hear me talk about excessive stock control mechanisms, specialized POS software, or sales training. Instead, I am available to answer questions relating to retail fundamentals - the art of buying and selling - and making a healthy profit along the way. Areas of specialty include: - CASHFLOW - how to keep your business in the black (or get it out of the red!) - PRICING - strategies, margin, mark-up, wholesale to retail, etc - PRODUCTS - what to buy, what to avoid - PRESENTATION - the science of product placement! - SALES - how to grow these fast, and keep the cash register ringing - AGED STOCK - a silent profit killer! How to manage this area of your business - SUPPLIERS - leveraging these relationships so you get more from them! - MARGIN EROSION - and how to prevent it If you have any general or specialized retail issue, I am happy to help you out. Also happy to talk to manufacturer/wholesalers who are looking for advice on breaking their products into the retail market. Follow me on Twitter @retailguru, or check out my blog for other useful advice (free!) retailprosperity.com

15+ years experience in the Retail industry - unlike many experts, I have made my money from my own retail ventures, not from selling my advice! Over ten years of my retail life was as a troubleshooter - my job was to fix the messes! I have worked with a huge variety of retailers to turn their struggling businesses around, and have found there are a number of principles that apply to all types of retail businesses, from luxury boutiques through to 2nd hand stores. I own a successful retail business in New Zealand, which has recently been franchised. My success comes in retail from the same strategies I am happy to share with you. I am also the author of The Retail Prosperity System - a handbook for Retailers who want to make more money from their retail businesses. This outlines the strategies I have developed and used in retail myself.

A number of Retail Associations, including NZRA, BNI (you would be amazed how networking can improve your revenues!), EMA, New Zealand Franchise Association

Author of The Retail Prosperity System, various forums and blogs, including www.retailprosperity.com

Studied Law at Otago University, and let's be honest - nothing beats 15 years real experience in the retail world, including building my own successful retail chain from scratch!

Finalist - New Zealand TOP SHOP 2010.= for my own retail business.