Specialty Retailers/Question ...

Question
Good day
Based upon a typical dept store, I always wonder why people buy the things they do.
Can you tell me what are some of the tools, technologies and some of the most effective strategies that one could add to merchandising to cause the customer to want to buy the product.
For example way products are put out.
Please refer me to any books that provides practical insights into tools, techniques etc. one can use to make the customer want to buy the product.

Answer
Dear S Mahabir,
There are many retail consultants out there that specialize in "visual merchandising" and "retail display". I am sure some use tracking technology to record consumer behavior to better predict results, but I prefer retailing experts with real work experience and gut instinct. Who you might choose to follow would depend entirely on your specific interests or industry.

Here is page of books available online:
http://www.onecoast.com/retailer/library-books.asp

If you are actually a retailer or considering becoming a retailer, I would certainly join a trade group and start reading trade magazines for your specific industry - gifts, apparel, toys, whatever. They often reference excellent resources for experts and provide useful business information.

As for department stores, many are woefully lacking in visual merchandising excellence. It seems to be all about the merchandise and not the retail experience. I very often find myself walking a quick circle and departing these large stores in favor of shopping at a more contemporary boutique.

Good luck.

Specialty Retailers

Mary Ann Everett

With 25 years experience in the specialty toy industry, I currently run Toy Collection Catalog, delivering marketing success to the specialty toy industry.

Member American Specialty Retailing Association (ASTRA), Toy Industry Association and National School Supply and Equipment Association (NSSEA).

edplay magazine

BA- University of Wisconsin- Madison