Speech Disorders/21 month not combining two-word phrases

Question
Dear Deborah,

My son just turned 21 months. He is bilingual, and we speak both English and Bulgarian to him (more complicated sentences in Bulgarian, then we provide short sentence version in English).

My son has about 40 English words, and 5 Bulgarian at this time. Most words are labeling objects such as cat, dog, moon, etc. He also says 3 verbs: sit, kick, and eat.

Most of his words are shortened...Lion is LA, Moon is Moo,etc. He also says other forms such as Eyes (VVC), Apple (VCCV), Kick (CVC) sometimes. He tries to copy and repeat many words from children's speech DVDs (baby babble videos) and they often come out with first syllable only. He has no problem stringing sounds and he babbles with inflection extensively all day long. He uses all early sounds d,t,b,p,g,k,h,w,l,m and n.

He understands language ok I believe. He can follow many simple commands such as "Stomp your feet", "lay down". He makes distinction between "kick ball" and "give me ball", hence understands some phrases. He can follow *sometimes* two-step commands such as "shake head for no and lay down".
He can identify 11 body parts on request, points at pictures in a book, and responds to What is that? questions

He uses various gestures such as pointing to share interest, shaking head for no, waves bye bye, and claps to praise himself. Copies various body movements. He also points to the object and labels it at the same time. Pretends to talk on the phone, sometimes puts mirror or remote control and "talks" too. Feeds us with toy-cheese and toy-bread, and feeds a doll.

I am very worried that he hasn't combined two-word phrases yet. He seems to have decent amount of words, but he makes no attempt to even copy phrases that we say. Only once or twice he has said "kick kick kick pause ball", and "Sit sit sit pause Down", but this was two weeks ago.In addition, he doesn't use many words to request things...he used to say "dai dai" (give me in Bulgarian), but now he mostly points to what he wants, and cries while staring at us. Granted, he typically wants things that he can't pronounce the word for.

I worry that ASD toddlers label but don't form sentences (he was seen at 17 months, and they found good joint attention, no further testing).
Do you know if Bilingual kids start adding words together later than mono? Does his development sound typical to you, or is he slow/delayed/red flag?

Answer
I am giving you my business email ceo@slllc.org give me another week to answer. I just found this now.

I am sorry about the delay. I work with parents and professionals and just got a new grant. Key here is to arm yourself with information about typical developmental sequence of childhood bilingualism.

I would need to know more about his dialectical community, level of exposure and interaction patterns.
Please feel free to email me at founder@multilangkids.org.
I will provide more direction on the education.

Who labelled him ASD?

Speech Disorders

Deborah Chitester MS CCC