Speech Disorders/Speech Disorder.

Dear Deborah

Do you recommend to visit a speech theraphist for a boy of 10 years who do not pronounce many marathi words correctly?.

Marathi is one of the regional spoken languages in India.

I have dedicated my professional life to educating teachers, professionals in this area. I would need more information, a speech sample, access to the dialectical community. There are books out there including some I have written designed to help. Please email me at founder@multilangkids.org so I can put you on our mailing list of information about stages of development. In general, and this is not specific, if a child can not pronounce words other children in his community are pronouncing from similar background, there could be a problem.

It is imperative parents be educated on this subject.
Please follow up.
I can put you in touch there with many resources to help.
I have written a parent guide for diverse parents let me know if you would be interested in such a book. bilingualspeechpath@gmail.com Also getting telepractice under way

Speech Disorders

Deborah Chitester MS CCC

I can not evaluate a child or person over the computer. I can provide generalities based on my extensive knowledge and expertise in second language acquisition and speech pathology.

Deborah Jill Chitester received her Masters of Science in Speech-Language Pathology from Adelphi University in New York and was granted her Certificate of Clinical Competence (C.C.C) by the American Speech and Hearing Association (ASHA). She has 12 years experience working with all age levels both mono-lingual and Spanish speaking, having received special certification by the State of New York as a Bilingual (English/Spanish) Speech-Language Pathologist. Deborah has worked with all age levels and all disabilities. She began her practice in New York, where she worked with both private patients as well as with the major school systems and corporations. She treats both monolingual and Spanish speaking clients of all ages and disabilities and utilizes some of the latest computer based treatment especially designed to promote optimal language development. Due to the use of her “linguistic features” approach, her client mix is increasingly more culturally linguistically diverse encompassing those representing almost all backgrounds presently comprising Asians, Arabs, Pakistani , etc. Deborah is an advocate of “highest quality service provider” having given many speaking engagements at parent/special interest support groups to inform and educate parents regarding appropriate educational practices for second language learners. One presentation also dealt with the facilitation of literacy instruction particularly reading in the English Language Learner population. She provides professional development in this area both locally and nationally. Lastly, She provides specialized language services for internationally adopted children and provides consultative services for parents concerning the importance of distinguishing second language aspects from true speech and language disorders. In 2007 her first resource guide called Unlocking the Enigma of the Second Language Learner: An Educator and Parental Resource Guide was released. (Llumina Press)

Language magazine Advance Magazine Parents NJ suburban Unlocking the Enigma of the Second Language LEarner

MS Speech Language PAthology CCC-Certificate of Clinical Competence from ASHA Bilingual Extension as a bilingual speech pathologist