Speech Disorders/intermittent stuttering

Question
A few years ago I was having problems stumbling and falling.  One day I woke up and could not speak properly.  I knew what I wanted to say but it didn't come out of my mouth correctly.  I was admitted to the hospital for 5 days and underwent every test known to man.  I didn't have a stroke, no lesians in my brain, etc.  I left the hospital with no diagnosis.  I have seen neurologists, neuropsychologists and still no diagnosis. (One of the neurologist said I may have had a traumatic childhood experience manifesting..., this after seeing me for a total of 20 minutes.)  I went through speech therapy and after several months I was finally back to speaking normal (like I had before that morning).  It has been almost a year and a half since I started speaking normal and yesterday I started stuttering again.  Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated.

Answer
Hi Kim,

I am sorry you have been having so much trouble with your speech.

As always, I have to point out that I am not a doctor or speech therapist.

When I think of your question above, regarding visits to neurologists, speech difficulties, possible head or brain problems, then I also think of what happens when a car has an electrical problem.  Very difficult to figure out.  Hmm....is it the alternator or the circuit breaker??  "The mechanic I took my car to last week said something different!"  Very frustrating!!

Your effort to figure out where your speech problem is coming from will likely be determined by several factors.  First, by seeing the right board certified doctors, who can apply their training and experience in the medical field.  Second, what types of remedies, therapies or medications that are used to treat you.  Third, by being your own best medical detective and advocate.

I would like to focus on the third factor....."being your own best medical detective and advocate."  Remember, as you work with medical professionals, they are providing their best knowledge and experience to help educate you while you are at their office.  But there is no doctor, that follows you around 24/7.  Only you can truly see yourself at all times.

The good news is that you mention that you had gone to speech therapy for several months and eventually recovered to the point of "speaking normal."  Although you have now had a relapse, I would like for you to think about all those things you did to recover the first time. Which Speech Pathologist worked with you?  Perhaps, go back to that same person and start your therapy again.  Think about what other conditions were present in your life at that time.  Did you have a less stressful job?  Or maybe your relationship or living environment was more conducive to your health, happiness and wellbeing.  What kind of medications were you on then compared to what you are taking now?  The idea here is to figure out what was successful in the past, and to recreate that scenario again.

So again, going back to the idea of being "your own best detective and advocate" could be your best path to recovery.  Only you know how you are responding 24/7 to treatments and medications.  Only you know, what foods, exercises and activities are going on in your life around the clock. When visiting your doctors, therapists, etc., give them lots of feedback.  Remind them of positive treatments that have worked for you before.....especially during that time you mentioned that you got better.  Most doctors offices are very busy places with lots of patients, so they may not remember in detail all of the little nuances that apply just to you.

I can't say this enough....involvement in figuring out what will heal yourself is a critical factor in getting better.  Be proactive in your efforts. Try going on Amazon.com and look for a self help book that seems similar to what you are going through.  TIP:  On Amazon....in addition to finding those books that have high recommendation ratings, also note how many reviews there are.  A book that gets five stars, but only two reviews matters less to me, then a book with a 4 star rating but was reviewed by fifty people.

Good luck to you and let me know how things turn out!

Jonathan
Patient Point of View

Speech Disorders

Jonathan - Patient Point of View