Spices & Seasonings/too much spice

Question
I have made a pot roast and used chilpotle cubes for the gravy base.  It is too spicy and I need to tone it down for my grandchildren.  What can I add?

Answer
Hmm... That's not a simple answer.  Best to use a multiple front attack I think.

You can add competing flavor elements.  Make sure there is enough salt in the dish.  You could add a bit of soy sauce or Worcestershire for some meatiness; honey and chipotle get along very well.  You could cut it with some acidity, such as some lime or lemon juice, or a splash of vinegar.

You can use a sour cream or yogurt based accompaniment.  The fat of the cream as well as the cool temperature will help numb the spiciness.  You could combine sour cream with just a dash of worcerstershire (I liked smoked paprika as well) and top the roast with that.

You can introduce a textural element.  Texture signals from the tongue will keep the brains attention away from the burning sensation.  How about some fried onion on top?  Or you can serve it with tortilla chips, pita chips, crusty rolls, or similar.  If you serve it with a starch such as pasta or potatoes, give them a strong contrasting but not antagonistic flavor profile.  Things to consider: oregano, garlic, cilantro, tomato.

If it's very strongly chipotle, perhaps you can shred the pot roast, maybe add some salsa or taco sauce and serve it as any number of quasi Mexican delights.  Burritos and nachos spring readily to mind.

Hope this helps!

Spices & Seasonings

Adam Price