Spices & Seasonings/Question

Hello, how are you going? :-) I live in Australia, and I was just wondering, when I eat fried rice at a Chinese restaurant, it always tastes better than when I make it at home. Is there any spices that they use in fried rice there that makes it tastes so yum, or do you think they use some other trick? Thanks heaps for your time, I do appreciate it a lot :-D Kind Regards, from Christina :-)

The rice should be cooked to be anything but sticky.

Use Long Grain rice.

Best is aged Basmati Rice from India.

Soak and Rinse rice in cold water for a minimum of 4 hours. Longer is better.

Drain rice very very well.

Cook with a ratio of 8 ozs.  of rice to 14 ozs. of water with 1 teaspoon of salt.

After cooking, the rice is NOT useful for fried rice.

Rice must be refrigerated or at no more than a cool room temperature.

The cooking vessel MUST be VERY large compared to the amount of rice to be cooked;

which is why a big WOK is used by restaurants.

Start by heating oil over HIGH heat.

Add (carefully please) sufficient Canola or Soy oil.

When shimmering add chopped vegetables like scallions and finely diced carrots and green peas.

add shredded meats or shrimps at this point if you like.

Add chopped fresh garlic and ginger and black pepper and M.S.G. if you like.

Stir fry for a bare moment.

Dump the cooled rice over the veggies.

Stir fry, turning and stirring.

Add a few drops of DARK Sesame Oil (preferably from Japan) Kadoya Brand is best.

After 20 seconds or so add "Dark Soy Sauce" preferably SWEET SOY Sauce from Indonesia ~ labeled "Ketchap Manis"

If you do not have that use a good quality "Oyster Sauce" mixed half and half with regular sauce.

Toss it to coat all of the rice.

Serve hot.  Enjoy.

Spices & Seasonings

Marc Gray

I have broad expertise re: spices, herbs, seasonings, condiments in various international cuisines.

I have studied this subject for many years. A gourmet cook, one of my specialties is preparing spice mixes, flavored oils and vinegars, etc. etc.

I am currently involved in answering questions here on all experts.com re: Indian Cuisine.