Spices & Seasonings/Mixed spices (garlic, onion , salt)

Question
QUESTION: Mr. Gray

I really need your help !!!

My first language is French, please bare with me if i make some mistakes . Thank you

I am trying to make a : Dried mixed of spices (powder)
the ingredients: salt, garlic(powder), onion(powder), parsley , cayenne pepper(powder), black pepper(grinded), egg(powder)or potatoes (powder).

I thought that if i used the basic formula with natural ingredients i could do my mix with the equivalent in powder but i am not able to have the same results at all. I did many try and errors, it is frustrating.
1- Maybe the equivalent that i am using are not exact
2- Maybe i should add other ingredients to have the same results
3- Maybe i the chemistry of the ingredients in powder are more complicated than i thought.

Do you have a book, web site, articles, advice that you can recommend on how to mix dried spices (powder or grinded)?
I also need to understand the use of vanilla(powder), backing soda etc..
I really need help here if i want to really understand how to manipulate these products on their powder form

Thank you very much

ANSWER: I am trying to make a : Dried mixed of spices (powder)

If you are baking or mixing dough, the chemistry is involved and amounts, temperatures and times, are crucial.

Firstly, You have neglected to say what the purpose of your mix is. If you do, I can give you recipes.

Secondly, egg powder I cannot imagine being in a spice mix unless its purpose is to season something like a Medhu Vada, Dosas, etc.
Potato powder I have never heard of. You must mean Potato Starch.

Parsley when dried has NO taste and can only supply a little green color. The same for coriander greens (cilantro).

Onion Powder really has no place as real onions are far superior. The same goes for garlic powder.

Ordinarily a spice mixture [Masala] or [Curry] is made from whole spices most of which are toasted by gentle heating in a DRY pan until aromatic and then put aside and covered to cool. Spices are done individually in that fashion and then when all are cool, they are put into an electric spice grinder (or mortar and pestle). Once properly ground, place in tightly sealed jar or container, and put in a cool dark place or refrigerate.

QUESTION: These are very good infos to start with!!

I am doing these mixing for some fritters but what is important for me is to develop an understanding on how to mix these ingredients. We use alot of : garlic, onion, salt etc...

I would like to know the equivalent of the onion and garlic powders to have an idea on how much to put and the proportion between them to maintain and have the same effects .

Can you recommend a good book or website to develop my know how on these dried products and powders?

Thank you very much for your quick answer

Answer

No, but you can do a google search.

Are these vegetable, fish, or meat fritters?

Generally you would use to ⅓ of the garlic powder relative to the onion powder.

Be certain that the powders are high quality and fresh.

Better is to put several cloves of garlic with at least twice the amount of onion
(or preferably eschallots) in a food processor with a pinch of salt, and
grind into a paste. That paste will last several days in the refrigerator if sealed
in a glass jar, with a little Olive Oil on top.

I would buy fresh chives from an Asian grocery and chop them fine and add
them to GREATLY enhance your fritters.

If you are adding baking powder, get a good brand.  It must be fresh.
Add to batter mix - cover and leave alone for several hours at least.

Spices & Seasonings

Marc Gray