Spices & Seasonings/saffron

Question
QUESTION: Where can one purchase high quality pure saffron? I've read Iranian is among the best around but not easy to get in the U.S.. Where online or in stores can the best variety be purchased? A friend was offered a saffron milkshake and although he is lactose intolerant he really wanted to know what it tastes like, and so do I. Know a good milkshake recipe with saffron? All other saffron recipes I've seen online appear rather complex.

ANSWER:

Spanish Saffron is the most affordable.

Look for full dark red threads without any yellow.

Never purchase any that are powdered.

They will be adulterated.

Iranian Saffron is the best, but few can tell the difference and I cannot justify the steep price.

If you take some saffron threads and crush them and put them in a big spoonful of milk sitting

at room temperature, it will be suitable for nearly any recipe.

The internet has endless purveyors of saffron and limitless recipes.

QUESTION: Yes and I've read if you soak real saffron in water it turns it a clean yellow versus a foggy white. But if I ordered it how can I know the quality before it arrives? Anyone can use a fake photo.

ANSWER: I buy my saffron (and all other spices) in "brick & mortar" stores where I can SEE the product.

Spices lose potency over time. Always buy small amounts .

I see that you are in N. Y. C. so I suggest heading over to 123 Lexington AV

to Kalustyans , a great Spice Market (since 1944)

https://www.kalustyans.com

QUESTION: I'm about 7 hours away from NYC actually. I have a different question also. I work at a pizza place and they have fried oreos which they use pizza dough to make. Is there a better dough for deep frying desserts in?

Answer
QUESTION: I'm about 7 hours away from NYC actually. I have a different question also. I work at a pizza place and they have fried oreos which they use pizza dough to make. Is there a better dough for deep frying desserts in?

You are 7 hrs.from NYC and you list yourself as a New Yorker, when you neither live nor work in N.Y.C. !

Kalustyans is trustworthy via mail-order .

MUCH of my spices and herbs, etc I order from Penzey's

HERE is their website:

https://www.penzeys.com

Your "second question" I cannot answer as I am a diabetic and "fried desserts" are anathema to me. However ...

Pizza Dough may be a good choice. Asian recipes along these lines tend to use a mix of Rice Flour and Wheat Flour.

Spices & Seasonings

Marc Gray