Spinal Decompression/Please help me understand the MRI report of my lumbar spine scan and the possible treatment options.

I am a 28 yr old male and weigh about 130 kgs. I have had some pain in my lower back and right leg through the hip. This pain has been excruciating for last 15 days or so and I got an MRI done.

This is what the report reads, please help me understand this better and possible treatment options.

MR imaging of the lumbar spine was done using a spine coil. Sequential Se T1 and T2 weighted images were obtained in sagittal and transverse planes.

Report: Normal lumbar spine curvature is reduced. Lumbar vertebrae are normal in signal intensity. No lytic/destructive lesion seen. Posterior elements are normal.

Developmentally lumbar spinal canal diameter is L1: 18.6 mm, L2: 14.8 mm, L3: 14.2 mm, L4: 14.3 mm and L5: 14.5mm

Central and right paracentral disc protrusion is seen at L5/S1 level, indenting thecal sac and and right exiting nerve root.

Central disc protrusion is seen at L4/L5 level, indenting thecal sac. Disc bulge is seen at L3/L4 level indenting tecal sac

There is evidence of disc dessication at L3/L4, L4/L5, L5/S1 levels as loss of signal of nucleus pulposus seen in T2 weighted images.

Small anterior and posterior osteophytes are seen in lumbar vertebrae. No ligamenta flava hypertrophy seen.

Facetal hypertrophy is seen at L3/L4, L4/L5 and L5/S1 levels.

Posterior longitudinal ligamnet id disrupted at L5/S1 level.

Thecal sac is indented at L3/L4, L4/L5, and L5/S1 level, CSF is normal in signal intensity. Distal cord is normal in signal intensity. Conus is normal in place.

Good Day Jitesh and thank you for writing to me. Firstly I would like to tell you I am genuinely sorry to hear about your pain. I have read over your report and I am happy to be of assistance.
To summarize the important significant facts are the the radiologist has discovered two bilging discs in the second to last and the last disc in your lower back called the lumbar spine.  Also the radiologist has discovered that the last three discs of the lumbar spine are degenerating (thinning) more than what would be considered normal.  In addition to these findings the radiologist has discovered that there are bone spurs (osteophytes) visible in the lumbar spine which are likely associated with the degenerating (thinning) discs. Also the radiologist has noticed that some of the spinal surfaces which normally contact their neighbouring vertebrae are also showing signs of hypertrophy, which is an increase in mineralization and is a common feature of a degenerating spine.

Hope this helps,

Can you please take a moment out to rate my answer and consider to nominate me as volunteer of the month,
All the best for a healthier new year,

Dr. Ron Nusbaum

Spinal Decompression

Dr. Ron Nusbaum D.C., B.Sc.

Spinal Decompression Toronto. I have treated patients many thousands of times which enables me to answer questions about which conditions are most successfully treated by Spinal Decompression. I can answer any questions regarding the science and methodology of how Spinal Decompression works. I can speak about who is and who is not a good candidate for Spinal Decompression, and I can speak about alternative treatments for severe, chronic back pain and neck pain. I can also speak about the various conditions which respond to spinal decompression care as well as which conditions should not receive this care I cannot make specific diagnoses or specific treatment recommendations for a patient without first conducting a consultation and examination with them. There are general protocol guidelines that I can share. I cannot recommend any individual to make changes to their medications or current medical care (prescribed by another doctor). I cannot make specific comments about another doctor.

Spinal Decompression Therapy Toronto. Patient care has inspired me to advance my knowledge and expertise. I am a Doctor of Chiropractic, treating back pain and neck pain since 1989. I am the founder and CEO of Back Clinics of Canada I've been performing Spinal Decompression for several years, and have performed Spinal Decompression several thousand times. I have worked with a team of medical doctors and have been involved in treating the total patient to help each person achieve a pain-free life and a renewed active lifestyle. Back Clinics of Canada has a numbe of Spinal Decompression Tables. My clinic was the first clinic, world wide, to receive the Newly Redeveloped DRX9000, and time of writing this is the only clinic in Canada offering care with it.

Ontario Chiropractic Association Canadian Chiropractic Association York Region Chiropractic Society Masters Circle Chiropractic Leadership Alliance

I can be regularily heard on Newstalk 1010 AM radio Canadian Living Magazine CJN The Better Back Program The Liberal The Era Banner Canadian Chiropractor

Canadian Chiropractic Memorial College: 1989, completed Doctor of Chiropractic University of Toronto: 1982, Bachelor of Science, Major in Psychology

October 2007: Dell Small Business Technology Award, recognizing innovative use of technology. We have integrated advanced technology into every aspect of our practice, from diagnosis to patient care to business processes and automation.

While we primarily serve the Southern Ontario Region, we do see patients from across Canada and the United States, and even from overseas. Our clients include everyone from office workers to professional athletes, from those on the factory floor to those occupying the corner office. In general an extremly wide cross section of the population.