Spinal Decompression/Acute sudden back pain

I'm 66 and in excellent health. Run 35-50 miles a week and work with weights 3 days a week. 2 weeks ago I bent over and got  what I would describE as an excruciating lower back pain. I'm not sure how to describe it but possibly as the worst cramp imaginable.  Since then I've been getting that same cramp, pain, etc., but usually only in the morning after I get up. If I'm careful as to how I move I can avoid it but one wrong move and it hits me. When it hits it's totally debilitating until I can find a position to relax my back. After the pain goes away i can function rather normally but carefully. I've continued to run without problems or pain although my range of motion is not as good. I've tried cold, heat and ibuprofen but this problem still exists. I admit I'm not good at resting but possibly I should. Wonder what you think......for info, no numbness in legs or other related problems to speak of. Thanks....appreciate your time

HI Dom, Sorry to get back to your question so late, I myself am a runner and have been away in Miami since January 25 to run in the ING half marathon and only now checked my e-mail. Dom I am extremely familiar with this kind of presentation of pain. I suggest that you immediately get examined by a chiropractic Doctor. You want to rule out that your pain is discogenic in nature, meaning to see if it might be a early bulging disc. To continue your training without knowing could actually make matters worse should it be discogenic.  I wonder if sneezing or coughing makes your pain worse, or bearing down on the toilet aggravates your pain. The doctor will see what the true nature of your pain is. He may order an x-ray and/or MRI.  I am not a huge fan of C-T scans so if your are recommended to get one I would ask if you get a MRI instead. MRI's are more visually descriptive and consequently more helpful, and also there is quite a bit of radiation exposure with C-T scans and none with MRI's. I don't recommend any further running until you have clarity as to the cause of your back problem.

Please take a moment out to rate my answer and consider to nominate me as volunteer of the month.

Dom I would love to hear back from you about your progress,

Dr. Ron Nusbaum

Spinal Decompression

Dr. Ron Nusbaum D.C., B.Sc.

Spinal Decompression Toronto. I have treated patients many thousands of times which enables me to answer questions about which conditions are most successfully treated by Spinal Decompression. I can answer any questions regarding the science and methodology of how Spinal Decompression works. I can speak about who is and who is not a good candidate for Spinal Decompression, and I can speak about alternative treatments for severe, chronic back pain and neck pain. I can also speak about the various conditions which respond to spinal decompression care as well as which conditions should not receive this care I cannot make specific diagnoses or specific treatment recommendations for a patient without first conducting a consultation and examination with them. There are general protocol guidelines that I can share. I cannot recommend any individual to make changes to their medications or current medical care (prescribed by another doctor). I cannot make specific comments about another doctor.

Spinal Decompression Therapy Toronto. Patient care has inspired me to advance my knowledge and expertise. I am a Doctor of Chiropractic, treating back pain and neck pain since 1989. I am the founder and CEO of Back Clinics of Canada www.backclinicsofcanada.ca. I've been performing Spinal Decompression for several years, and have performed Spinal Decompression several thousand times. I have worked with a team of medical doctors and have been involved in treating the total patient to help each person achieve a pain-free life and a renewed active lifestyle. Back Clinics of Canada has a numbe of Spinal Decompression Tables. My clinic was the first clinic, world wide, to receive the Newly Redeveloped DRX9000, and time of writing this is the only clinic in Canada offering care with it.

Ontario Chiropractic Association Canadian Chiropractic Association York Region Chiropractic Society Masters Circle Chiropractic Leadership Alliance

I can be regularily heard on Newstalk 1010 AM radio Canadian Living Magazine CJN The Better Back Program The Liberal The Era Banner Canadian Chiropractor

Canadian Chiropractic Memorial College: 1989, completed Doctor of Chiropractic University of Toronto: 1982, Bachelor of Science, Major in Psychology

October 2007: Dell Small Business Technology Award, recognizing innovative use of technology. We have integrated advanced technology into every aspect of our practice, from diagnosis to patient care to business processes and automation.

While we primarily serve the Southern Ontario Region, we do see patients from across Canada and the United States, and even from overseas. Our clients include everyone from office workers to professional athletes, from those on the factory floor to those occupying the corner office. In general an extremly wide cross section of the population.