Spinal Decompression/Please explain MRI of Lumbar Spine

Question
The Impression is as follows:

The patient's symptoms are resulting from a large focal left paracentral subligamentous soft disc protrusion at L5-S1 with mild inferior extension/encroachment and marked impingement of the left S1 root.
Do you suggest trying physcial therapy for a while?  I am also scheduled to see a neurosurgeon.

Answer
Jenxgen ~

As I'm sure you know by now each spinal vertebra is separated by a disc and that L5-S1 refers to a specific level. Left paracentral means that the protrusion is near the center of the spinal canal but to the left. The protrusion can be seen pressing upon or impinging the S1 nerve root which would radiate pain into the buttock/hip region and if severe enough or long lasting can radiate pain all the way down the leg to the little toe side of the foot. This is difficult to both describe and envision and is one of those cases where a picture is worth a thousand words. Click on YouTube to see a visual presentation of a disc protrusion.

The goal of course is to reduce the protrusion. Sometimes simply a few days bed rest will help by reducing the compressive force of gravity. Simple ice and heat as well as other physical therapy modalities can help it to feel better and additionally speed the healing of the inflammatory process which can best be thought of as a deep bruise. Certain chiropractic manipulative techniques can create decompressive forces that can "suck" the protrusion back in. Some  exercises from either the chiropractor or physical therapist can create these same decompressive forces although exercises work best as a preventive measure and less well as a therapeutic measure. Non-surgical Spinal Decompression was specially designed to create a de-compressive force and additionally can help re-hydrate a degenerating disc if this is determined to be the reason why it protruded in the first place. Lastly, surgery in its less invasive and more invasive forms can excise the protruding disc material.

AUTHOR BIOGRAPHY
Dr. Michael L. Hall, D.C. practices at Triangle Disc Care in Raleigh, North Carolina specializing in Spinal Decompression for the treatment of acute and chronic neck pain and back pain due to herniated, degenerated discs. This is a conservative procedure for patients suffering with bulging or herniated discs, degenerative disc disease, posterior facet syndrome, sciatica, failed back surgery syndrome, and non-specified mechanical low back or neck pain.

For more information call 919-571-2515, click on www.triangledisc.com or email office@triangledisc.com . Type "Free eBook - 101 Things I Need to Know about my Bad Back" into the subject line.

Spinal Decompression

Dr Michael L Hall