Spinal Decompression/Spinal Decompresson

Question
Respected Sir,
         My 57 year old sister is suffering from back(waist) pain.Doctors are advising operation.We are not in favour of surgery.I am attaching her MRI(LS Spine) report.Kindly advise .
         MRI REPORT          Technique:
Multiplanner MR images of Lumbo Sacral Spine done using TISE sagittal and transverse,T2TSE transverse,sagittal and coronal and Stir sagittal sequences
Findings:
Exaggerated lumbar lordosis   
Vertebral bodies are normal in height and signal intensity. End plates are preserved.
Diffuse disc bulge of L4-L5 disc with compression of bilateral neural foramina and impingement of bilateral exiting nerve roots
Annulus tear of L4-L5 disc
Canal stenosis at L4-S1 level The diameter is as follows
Level   AP (cm)
L1   1.43
L1-L2   1.68
L2   1.64
L2-L3   1.55
L3   1.22
L3-L4   1.40
L4   1.18
L4-L5   0.54
L5   1.10
L5-S1   1.06

Cords ends at L1 mid body level and lower visible part of cord shows normal thickness and signal intensity
Facet Joints show a normal spaces and articular margins.
Ligamentum flavum hypertrophy at L4-L5 level
Paraspinal soft tissues are seen normally
Impression:
Degenerative changes of intervertebral discs
Diffuse disc bulg of L4-L5 disc with compression of bilateral neural foramina and impingement of bilateral exiting nerve roots
Annulus tear of L4-L5 disc
Canal steosis at L4-S1 level

Answer
Kalyan ~

Give some serious consideration to spinal decompression therapy:

In the past, a patient suffering from this degenerative process was usually given pain medications or injections, instructed to refrain from physical activities, referred for physical therapy, and when they weren't progressing they were sent for spinal surgery or simply told to learn to live with it. Since 2001 when the FDA finally approved non-surgical spinal decompression therapy, there is new hope for those who suffer from degenerative joint diseases. Spinal Decompression Therapy is a non-invasive, non-surgical treatment performed on a special, computer controlled table similar in some ways to an ordinary traction table. A single disc level is isolated and by utilizing specific traction and relaxation cycles throughout the treatment, along with proper positioning, negative pressure can actually be created within the disc. It works by gently separating the offending disc 5 to 7 millimeters creating negative pressure (or a vacuum) inside the disc to pull water, oxygen, and nutrients into the disc, thereby re-hydrating a degenerated disc and bringing in the nutrients needed to heal the torn fibers and halt the degenerative process. As the disc is re-hydrated the shock absorbing properties are restored and the stress on the joint is reduced and the inflammation subsides. Many times much of the lost height can be restored as well. Now a normal life can be resumed.

Dr. Michael L. Hall, D.C. practices at Triangle Disc Care in Raleigh, North Carolina specializing in Spinal Decompression for the treatment of acute and chronic neck pain and back pain due to herniated, degenerated discs. This is a conservative procedure, first approved for use in the U.S. in 2001, for patients suffering with bulging or herniated discs, degenerative disc disease, posterior facet syndrome, sciatica, failed back surgery syndrome, and non-specified mechanical low back or neck pain.

For more information call 919-571-2515, click on Decompression Therapy or email office@triangledisc.com. Type "Free eBook - 101 Things I Need to Know about my Bad Back" into the subject line.

Spinal Decompression

Dr Michael L Hall