Spinal Decompression/arm pain since 2 years - cervical spine too straight?

cervical spine
cervical spine  
Dear D. Ron,

I have had bad arm pain for almost two years now. It started when doing chin-ups in gymnasitics training. I felt a light sharp pain in my biceps near the bone. I went to 2 doctos, but it didn't got any better, even with rest. It got worse, leaving my arms in pulling pain after pulling exercises like pull-ups, rope climbs, and even uneven bars. Push ups and tumbling are usually fine. I hardly ever feel it in everyday exercises, just sometimes when I push against something in a certain angle of the arm I feel the ulnar nerve near my bone in the upper arm. I also feel it when throwing a ball, like we need to do in handball or in shot-put! Then it feels as if my ulnar and medial nerve are pulled out. But it never reaches my fingers, and it is not a sharp pain and I also don't have tingling, numbness, swelling or redness.

And then it sometimes hurts above my medial epicondyle somewhere in the connective tissue.
If you look at this picture, it is at the "medial brachial cut".

This is even worse then the pulling pain in the whole arm. It flares up for some seconds, especially after a workout, and is a very unpleasant burning and pushing pain !

I have been to 5 specialists so far. I got diagnosed with bicep tendonitis twice, tricep tendonitis once, Vit D deficiency once, and I got no diagnose at all once.

I am really desperate.
I recently had an appointement with another specialist. He said it might be the cervical spine and a disc herination at C6 or C7!

I had an x-ray and an MRI. It shows that there is no herination and everything is fine, but my cervical spine is too elongated (I hope this is the right word for it, I can't find it in the dictionary and I am from Austria!). So ideally, it would be rounded a little, but mine is really straight. At C6 and C7 it shows some light "bumps" between my vetebraes, and the docotor said this is causing the problem. I will attache a picture of the MRI!

Do you think this is possible? He ordered physcial therapy. I am a student in Vienna and I also study sports. Everything is very expenisve for me and I have already been to physio therapy last year but it didn't help.

I wanted another opinion, because here in Autria I have to pay about 130, which is about 190$ for one appointement and then the doctors take 5 minutes to make a quick diagnose :(

So do you think this may cause the problem? And if so, will physiotherapy help or should I visit a Chiropratic?

Thanks in advance!

Hello Katharina.
Sorry to hear about your arm pain symptoms. This must be totally frustrating not knowing what the true cause of the problem is. After reading your question I can share your concern. Obviously I cannot make a diagnosis without having examined you. It is possible that there can be a arm pain caused by a problem with a disc. Often such causes are due to either bulging or herniated discs and sometimes due to thinning discs. More than that I can't say. I suggest that you find a reputable orthopaedic surgeon for another opinion.  If your pain began doing chin-ups and is aggravated by specific physical activities I wonder if you may have possibly either traumatized some arm muscles, tendons, ligaments or nerves.
I would suggest asking your local health professional to consider that. It is possible that an MRI on the arm may reveal important diagnostic information.  I suggest that you speak with a chiropractor and discuss this information with him/her.

I wish you success with your arm problem,
If you wouldn't mind, could take a moment out to rate my answer and consider nominating me expert of the month.

Dr. Ron Nusbaum

Spinal Decompression

Dr. Ron Nusbaum D.C., B.Sc.

Spinal Decompression Toronto. I have treated patients many thousands of times which enables me to answer questions about which conditions are most successfully treated by Spinal Decompression. I can answer any questions regarding the science and methodology of how Spinal Decompression works. I can speak about who is and who is not a good candidate for Spinal Decompression, and I can speak about alternative treatments for severe, chronic back pain and neck pain. I can also speak about the various conditions which respond to spinal decompression care as well as which conditions should not receive this care I cannot make specific diagnoses or specific treatment recommendations for a patient without first conducting a consultation and examination with them. There are general protocol guidelines that I can share. I cannot recommend any individual to make changes to their medications or current medical care (prescribed by another doctor). I cannot make specific comments about another doctor.

Spinal Decompression Therapy Toronto. Patient care has inspired me to advance my knowledge and expertise. I am a Doctor of Chiropractic, treating back pain and neck pain since 1989. I am the founder and CEO of Back Clinics of Canada I've been performing Spinal Decompression for several years, and have performed Spinal Decompression several thousand times. I have worked with a team of medical doctors and have been involved in treating the total patient to help each person achieve a pain-free life and a renewed active lifestyle. Back Clinics of Canada has a numbe of Spinal Decompression Tables. My clinic was the first clinic, world wide, to receive the Newly Redeveloped DRX9000, and time of writing this is the only clinic in Canada offering care with it.

Ontario Chiropractic Association Canadian Chiropractic Association York Region Chiropractic Society Masters Circle Chiropractic Leadership Alliance

I can be regularily heard on Newstalk 1010 AM radio Canadian Living Magazine CJN The Better Back Program The Liberal The Era Banner Canadian Chiropractor

Canadian Chiropractic Memorial College: 1989, completed Doctor of Chiropractic University of Toronto: 1982, Bachelor of Science, Major in Psychology

October 2007: Dell Small Business Technology Award, recognizing innovative use of technology. We have integrated advanced technology into every aspect of our practice, from diagnosis to patient care to business processes and automation.

While we primarily serve the Southern Ontario Region, we do see patients from across Canada and the United States, and even from overseas. Our clients include everyone from office workers to professional athletes, from those on the factory floor to those occupying the corner office. In general an extremly wide cross section of the population.