Spinal Decompression/spinal decompression

Question
Is it possible during the spinal decompression treatment to have muscles, ligaments or even bones (coccyx) damaged? What would prevent this from happening? Even if the height and weight may be the same (as input for the level of pulling tension) everyone’s body is different and some may be more adequate for this treatment than others. What is required before undergoing a spinal decompression treatment – x-ray, MRI etc.? And what are the cases this type of treatment is not recommended?
Thanks,
Mike

Answer
Hi Mike. Thank you for your question. I have never heard of anyone receiving damage to their muscles or ligaments from spinal decompression. I have not heard of anyone ever acquiring coccyx damage as well. Patients who undergo spinal decompression should have a consultation and an examination to see if they qualify for care. There are different imaging techniques which may assist in determining the suitability for this procedure. These may include x-rays, mri's, c-t scans. Often patients will provide the health professional with reports from these tests. Some of the contra-indications include have decompression on a part of the spine which has had a spinal fusion, ankylosing spondolytitis, a bilateral laminectomy.  My best advice for you is to sit down and have a conversation with the doctor who you are considering to have this care with to further  discuss your questions.
Best of luck,
Dr. Ron Nusbaum D.C.

Spinal Decompression

Dr. Ron Nusbaum D.C., B.Sc.