Sports Business/Dice - Cube Shape Design.

Dear Margy

We use Dice in various indoor games viz Snakes and Ladders, Ludo, Business etc. Dice is cube shape, just curious to know regarding the design i.e. Six sides numbered with each side with 1,2,3,4,5,6.

What could be the reason for designing a Dice with a Cube shape ?
Six is an even number. Can we also have dice manufactured as a Pentagonal shape (i.e. 5 sides numbered with 1,2,3,4,5) or Heptagon (i.e. 7 sides numbered with 1,2,3,4,5,6,7.
i.e. Odd Number Dice.

Some Games are also played with more than One Dice i.e Two Dice.

Can Games be played with One Dice a Cube shape and another Dice with a Heptagon Shape ?

Is it something to do with Probability Theory ?. If we change the Dice design, will there be also probable changes in game business rules viz Snakes and Ladders, Ludo etc ?.

Awaiting your reply,

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

Hi, Prashant. Thanks for the very interesting question.

There are a couple of blogs you need to check out and converse in with your question regarding the Probability Theory connected to the shape of the dice.

1. (see Johns post on 10-31-12 regarding dice)
Also, you can read about Euler characteristics with dice, V-E+F=2

Also, check out this site:
THere are lots of different shapes of dice and you may find one that fits your design.

I hope this helps. And let me know your changes to the dice design. I think this is your first step to identifying the probable changes in the rules.

Yours in sport business,
Margy Lang  

Sports Business

Margy Lang

Sports marketing and promotions. Sports sponsorship and partnership programs.

Founder and President of Sportive Marketing, Inc. a sports marketing and event management agency headquartered in Northeast Florida who services a variety of clients in the areas of marketing and promotions of sport properties and events as well as the facilitation of product rollouts and sales driven programs for sport and recreation products. Author of several articles and series of white papers (The Stratagem Series)on sport marketing, specifically trends in marketing and promotion, and event marketing, including ticket and membership sales. Adjunct visiting instructor at Flagler College (St. Augustine FL) Sport Management Department, teaching upperclass Sport Marketing and Promotions course. Past chair and founder of the City of Jacksonville's Olympic Development Committee.

The Sport Marketing Association Hospitality Sales & Marketing Association International

B.A. Sport Communications from Bethany College, Bethany WV M.S. Sport Management from Indiana University of Pennsylvania M.B.A. Concentration in Marketing from Clayton University, MO

2006 Alumni Achievement Award, Butler County Community College, Butler PA