Sports Medicine/Sprained ankle?

A week ago I was hiking out at Red Rock and rolled my ankle pretty bad and had to walk ~3 miles back to the car. I got home around noon and RICE'd it, and had a business trip to NY the next day and was doing a lot of walking during the day but compressed and elevated at night time.

While in NY I noticed pretty extreme bruising up my leg, discoloration in my foot and a bruise that wrapped from arch, around my heel, to the other arch.

I went to see a doctor when I returned home, who suggested I get an X-Ray. The X-Ray tech said it didn't look like anything was broken or fractured, and my doctor will call me in a few days to let me know what to do.

I've been experiencing pretty severe pain when I lay down at night in the back of my calf and in the arch of my foot. Is this normal for a sprain, or is it possible there could be something else I should be worrying about?

Hi Chase,

Sorry to hear you hurt your ankle.  Extensive bruising such as you described typically indicated you have at least partially torn a ligament. Hopefully you are seeing an orthopaedic specialist. When s/he examines you, s/he will be able to assess if the ligament is torn.  You might need an MRI.  

The bummer regarding ankle sprains is that honestly, they take a while, often at least 8-12+ weeks to heal and feel better. Make sure you have someone examine your ankle and in the meantime, if you can, try to stay off it, even consider using crutches.

I hope you heal well.

Kind regards,

Sports Medicine

Hope T. Horton, RN, BSN

Questions related to knee, shoulder, hip and ankle injuries, including treatment options and what is involved in recovery from injuries including surgical and non surgical interventions.

I an a registered nurse and have worked in orthopaedics and sports medicine for over twenty years (since 1993).

Graduated summa cum laude as the valedictorian from Regis University in Denver, CO with my BSN. Prior to that I was an EMT working in emergency rooms in Vail, CO and Denver, CO as well as on an ambulance in Vail, CO.

Elected Valedictorian of my class and awarded to Regent Award for excellence in academics. Elected to Phi Beta Kappa.