Sports Medicine/No answer to my question my 1st time

How could you have already answered my question if I've never asked it before? I'll just let my shin heal on it's own and not get it looked at even if the bruise and soreness is still there 8 weeks later.

Hi Danae,

Sorry for the confusion. It looks like I may not have transmitted my answer.

In any case, I don't think a softball to your shin would cause a fracture, but the only way to be certain is to see a healthcare specialist and have it evaluated with an x-ray. If you decide to not see someone, I would suggest Tylenol (acetaminophen) for the pain and ice to the site to try to make it feel better while I heals. There is some thought that antiinflammatories (such as Advil, Aleve, Ibuprophen and Motrin) can delay healing which is why Tylenol might be your best bet.

I hope you have a speedy recovery.

Kind regards,

Sports Medicine

Hope T. Horton, RN, BSN

Questions related to knee, shoulder, hip and ankle injuries, including treatment options and what is involved in recovery from injuries including surgical and non surgical interventions.

I an a registered nurse and have worked in orthopaedics and sports medicine for over twenty years (since 1993).

Graduated summa cum laude as the valedictorian from Regis University in Denver, CO with my BSN. Prior to that I was an EMT working in emergency rooms in Vail, CO and Denver, CO as well as on an ambulance in Vail, CO.

Elected Valedictorian of my class and awarded to Regent Award for excellence in academics. Elected to Phi Beta Kappa.