Sports Medicine/Bump on foot after sprain

Question

I sprained my ankle about three weeks ago. It was incredibly painful at first --couldn't walk, but then after taping it and walking with a crutch for a day it was a lot better. There was a lot of bruising, and a pretty big bump on my foot (lateral). The pain is pretty much gone except when I move my foot inwards, but the bump is still there. Any idea what this could be?

Thank you!

Answer
Hi Laura,

Sorry to hear you hurt your ankle.  Ankle sprains are painful and can take longer than you think to heal.  My concern is that the "bump" might be part of a ligament which tore off the bone.  I think it is worth seeing someone to evaluate it.  Bruising is typically an indication of injury and often of ligament tear, though it could be partial.  An orthopaedic specialist should be able to evaluate this.  Knowing if you have torn a ligament can help guide your treatment and whether you should stay off it to avoid doing further damage.

I hope you heal well and quickly!

Kind regards,
Hope

Sports Medicine

Hope T. Horton, RN, BSN