Sports Medicine/Deltoid Pain

I am a 43 yr.old intermediate level weight lifter/runner. I am in excellent physical health and weigh ~200lbs. I have never smoked and have no history of injury or chronic health problems. I have noticed over the last 2 years or so I can never seem to get rid of what I think may be tendonitis where my deltoid attaches in the middle of my upper right arm. So this is opposite from the shoulder area and on the other end of my deltoid from the shoulder. I notice it in particular when I hold my arm straight out like I'm pointing or move my arm just right I will feel medium level pain in this area. I particular notice this with weight in my hand when my right arm is extended. In the last year I had surgery for labrum cartilage tear in my right shoulder but this did nothing for the symptoms I'm describing here. I have tried lots and lots of ice on this but it does not seem to really help. There is no particular exercise that seems to aggravate this and not set of events that seem to cause the's just kind of always there. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I don't know the next best thing to do. My doctor seem to say just keep icing it and you getting older and probably have some arthritis....doesn't really make sense to me.

Hi Scott,

I apologize for the delay in getting back to yo.  I thought I had answered your question, but didn't send it correctly.

In any case, I believe you may have an issue with your rotator cuff where it inserts on your upper arm (humerus), likely in the bicipital groove. The labral surgery wouldn't have addressed this.

What I think you need to do is get some answers. You are VERY young at 43 and it sounds like you have certainly given conservative treatment a full try.  What I would recommend is that you ask whomever you decide to see for your shoulder (whether it's the same treating physician or another orthopaedic specialist) about obtaining an MRI to assess your rotator cuff.

I hope you get some insight and that your care can be better guided.

Best of luck.

Kind regards,

Sports Medicine

Hope T. Horton, RN, BSN

Questions related to knee, shoulder, hip and ankle injuries, including treatment options and what is involved in recovery from injuries including surgical and non surgical interventions.

I an a registered nurse and have worked in orthopaedics and sports medicine for over twenty years (since 1993).

Graduated summa cum laude as the valedictorian from Regis University in Denver, CO with my BSN. Prior to that I was an EMT working in emergency rooms in Vail, CO and Denver, CO as well as on an ambulance in Vail, CO.

Elected Valedictorian of my class and awarded to Regent Award for excellence in academics. Elected to Phi Beta Kappa.