Sports Medicine/meniscus

QUESTION: I am a 59 year old female. In April 2012 I heard a loud pop followed by intense pain in my right knee. I tore the medial meniscus. I had surgery in May removing the damaged meniscus and cleaning out some arthritis. After the surgery and physical therapy my knee was feeling much better. Unfortunately over the past 4 monthes my knee has gotten worse. It has become very stiff and increasingly painful. What could be happening to my knee? Is this a typical problem after this type of injury? Can you recommend anything that I could do at home such as exercise, heat, cold, or should I check back with the surgeon?

Thank you for your help.

ANSWER: Hi Cindy,

Sorry to hear your knee is bothering you. What is concerning is that you were doing better and then got worse. I wonder if you had any new injury or precipitating even? In any case, you might benefit from a new MRI to ascertain if you have a new meniscal tear. Another option is that you could speak with your orthopaedic physician about lubricating injections (hyaluronic acid) which might help with the pain.  Receiving a steroid injection could be an option too, but I think getting the facts first might be the best course of action. In the meantime, ice for swelling and physical therapy to keep your knee mobile and strong are also great ideas.

I hope you do well.  

Kind regards,

QUESTION: Would the fact that I have been an insulin dependent diabetic have any effect on the healing process? I have neuropathy in my feet & when I receive cortisone injections I have to adjust my insulin to cover the rise in my blood sugar.

Thank you again for the information.

Hi Cindy,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.  Your diabetes, may have a negative effect on your healing, although the meniscus itself, is difficult to heal due to it's lack of blood supply.

Good luck in whatever you decide.

Kind regards,

Sports Medicine

Hope T. Horton, RN, BSN

Questions related to knee, shoulder, hip and ankle injuries, including treatment options and what is involved in recovery from injuries including surgical and non surgical interventions.

I an a registered nurse and have worked in orthopaedics and sports medicine for over twenty years (since 1993).

Graduated summa cum laude as the valedictorian from Regis University in Denver, CO with my BSN. Prior to that I was an EMT working in emergency rooms in Vail, CO and Denver, CO as well as on an ambulance in Vail, CO.

Elected Valedictorian of my class and awarded to Regent Award for excellence in academics. Elected to Phi Beta Kappa.