Sports Medicine/Senior Paper Interview: Sports Injury Prevention

Question
Dear Ketan,
For my senior project research paper I am required to include an interview of an expert on my research topic. My research question is "How can injuries be prevented in contact sports for teenage athletes?" Would you please answer the following questions for me?

1. From your experience, what seems to be the most common age group for sports injuries?

2. What is the best way to prevent sports related injuries?

3. Why are sports injuries so prominent in high school sports?

4. What outside factors contribute to an athlete encountering an injury?

5. Are certain injuries more common in men or women? If so, which ones and why?

6. What injuries can be a result of over usage, and what can athletes/coaches do to prevent them?

7. In your opinion, what is the most severe injury that a teenage athlete can encounter, why?

I really appreciate your help with my paper, thank you!

-Jordan

Answer
Jordan:

This is a very complicated question as there are a lot of intricacies behind the answers but will try my best to answer.

1. my practice is mainly 10-30 year olds however i do see a fair amount of injuries in older patients as well.

2. the prevention depends on what the injury is.  for running injuries, stretching is key; for concussions, proper equiptment and use of equiptment is key.  for stuff like knee injuries and hip injuries, core strength training is key

3. injuries are prominent at all levels of sports.  i think some of hte issues at the lower levels (HS and lower) is that coaches don't always spend time on stretching and education

4. weakness, tightness, playing hurt already, technique, fields, weather, conditions

5. hard to say...if you do a search on pubmed.org you may be able to find an answer to that but i am not sure

6.  shin splints/patella femoral syndrome - proper stretching and strengthening; for pitchers rotator cuff and labral injuries which can be prevented by proper pitch counts

7. death obviously from punctured lung or a neck injury which causes paralysis...for more common stuff, concusssion because if affects the brain adn we dont know all the long term complications yet

Ketan Mody
Sports Medicine
Westmont IL

Sports Medicine

Ketan Mody