Sports Medicine/left hip bursitis

Question
hi Dr. Tsatsos:

I am a 51 y.o. woman, in good shape who walks, swims, hikes and does yoga for exercise.  At the end of October I hiked and walked with a friend two days in a row who is twice as fast as me and it was a bit of a struggle to keep up. Around the same time I went to a free yoga class where I may have overstretched my hip.  Since then I have tightness and occasional pain over the left hip and based on my research (I am an R.N.) I think it is trochanteric bursitis.  The stiffness seems to extend down the lateral side to my left knee.  I felt better and walked for about 45 minutes a couple of days ago but that was probably a bad idea.  I live in a 4th floor walk up so the stairs are a problem.  I'm really afraid that it will never go away as long as I live here and I'm forced to move (which is not an easy task).  I've taken to doing the stairs one step at a time, favoring my good hip....but knowing what I know about injuries, I could cause problems in the good hip over time doing this.

I've been icing, started Advil about two weeks ago and this weekend I've been pretty much resting and icing.  I don't plan to go out today and just stay home and rest, hoping this will help.

My question is:  at this point, two months later, is rest and ice the way to go?  I had been doing light yoga and stretching exercises but I don't know if I should be totally resting it?  If I go to an M.D. and do the traditional medical route with X-rays, physical therapy, it will cost me $2,000.00 as that is my deductible and I already pay a large monthly premium for my health insurance as I'm self employed.  I am wondering if swimming would be beneficial?

Thank you in advance for your thoughts....

Answer
Dear Joy,
This Chicago Podiatrist located in West Loop 60661,Roscoe Village 60618,Elmhurst 60126 & Bartlett 60103 says...
For your hip & knee pain-Give your injury a chance to heal-maybe up to 6-8 weeks. Sounds like an irritation of the Iliotibial band (ITB).
Google ITB stretches. Do pool exercises/gentle swimming in the interim to keep you fit. Swimming is good. Watch your weight with the possible decrease in physical activity

PRICE the area
Protect-If it hurts-stop the exercise or avoid the movements which aggravate the hip.Gentle pain-free Range of Motion & stretching exercises only
R-Rest-speaks for itself
I-Ice-as much as possible after your training-up to 2 days after the pain stops
C-Compress-Ace wrap the area/leg
E-Elevate-will help if it throbs
Short term anti-inflammatories are OK.
The stairs probably irritate the hip area-which is already irritated. This produces chronic inflammation. Because we use the hip daily-it may take up to the 2-3 months to quiet down completely. As long as you see improvement week to week-stick with PRICE for now.
Hope This Helps!
and
Good Luck!
The podiatrists of AnkleNFootCenters.com are specialists in foot & ankle pain.
We are located in Chicago & Elmhurst

Dr George Tsatsos & Svetlana Zats
Podiatrist Chicago 60618 & Elmhurst 60126 Podiatrists
Board Certified in Foot and Ankle Surgery & Orthopedics
New South Loop Location-Chicago 60661

DISCLAIMER:
This information is offered as free advice and as general information. It may not be applicable to the specific questioner and his/her problem.  It is not based on actual knowledge of the questioner or his/her medical history and it cannot and should not be relied upon as definitive medical opinion or advice.  Reliable medical opinion and advice can only be obtained through hands-on physical contact and exam of the patient to establish an accurate diagnosis and treatment plan.  No doctor/patient relationship is created or established here and may not be inferred through answers on this site.  The questioner and other readers must consult his/her own doctor before proceeding or implementing any suggestions contained within this document and answers on this site.  The questioner is only to act upon his/her own doctor’s orders and recommendations. By reading this posting which follows, the reader fully understands and confirms that he/she holds harmless this writer. If this is not fully agreeable to you, the reader, and/or you have not attained the age of 18 years, you hereby are advised to read no further.

Sports Medicine

Dr George Tsatsos