Sports Medicine/knee sprain after exercise

I'm afraid I really did some damage to my knee yesterday, but I can't figure out exactly what is wrong.

This may or may not have compounded the problem, but I tried a new workout video yesterday, which included lunges while holding weights.  Knee problems run in my family, so I am always very cautious not to overextend when I exercise.  Still, about 20 minutes after I finished, my knees felt a little tender.

About an hour later I was taking the sheets off a bed with wheels, and the bed slid away from the wall, causing me to land off-balance with all my weight on my left foot.  My left knee hurt moderately bad at first, but the pain went away in under 10 minutes and I forgot about it.

Several hours later I was reaching up to get something off a high shelf, and went up on my tiptoes.  Instantly there was a shooting pain from my left knee, and I almost collapsed.  The pain continued radiating up & down from my knee for almost 15 minutes.  I tried to massage around it and gently stretch my leg, but it didn't help much.  When the pain started to subside, I could put a little weight on it, but I couldn't straighten out my leg.

I had mild pain during the night but zero swelling.  This morning I still can't straighten my left leg, and my knee still feels very tender when I put any weight on it.  There is no swelling or bruising.  Any idea what I may have done, and how to treat it until I can get to a doctor?  Also any recommendations for preventing this ever happening again would be fantastic.  Thanks very much!

YOu need tobe seen by a sports medicine specialist as you may have torn a meniscus or something else that would maybe need an MRI.  I would let someone examine the knee and order the appropriate test.

If you tell me where in the country you are I can help you find a doc/

Sports Medicine

Ketan Mody

Sports Medicine. foot injuries, ankle injuries, knee injuries, injections, PRP (platelet rich plasma) injections, shoulder problems, back pain, neck pain, concussions, hip pain, elbow pain, hand/wrist problems. Marathoners, triathletes, football, everyday home injuries, general orthopedics, generalized pain

I have been a Sports Medicine Physician since 2006. I did my fellowship at UConn and worked in a big ortho group for 2 years and the last 3 plus years have owned my own Sports Medicine Practice. I have trained in Chicago, Pittsburgh, Houston, Dallas, LA, Connecticut, Australia.

Primary Care Sports Medicine Fellowship, University of Connecticut Hartford, CT Family Practice Residency, University of Pittsburgh Medical Center Pittsburgh, PA Medical Doctor, The Chicago Medical School, Finch University Health Sciences Chicago, IL Bachelor of Science, Computer Science, Illinois Institute of Technology Chicago, IL

Graduated with High Honours Resident Advisor Awards for best community program and advisor of the year Stryker Awards for Community Service Deanís List

As a physician it is against the law to give names of patients. They run from everyday kids to competitive athletes, olympians, pro players, college players and HS.