Sports Medicine/Shoes

What shoes would you recommend for long distance walking? I wear New Balance which I was told would be right for the job, but after 2 miles my feet are pretty sore and even blister a little. I seems like the logical next step would be army boots. lol. What shoes should I invest in that are comfortable for many miles?

Hello James!

It looks like New Balance shoes might not be the choice the feet would make for walking, or running, for that matter. The best thing for you to do would be to visit a shoe store.........whether a sporting goods store, or the shoe department of a major clothing store.  Without being distracted by brand names, spend some time trying on shoes that are light weight, very supportive, and flexible.  The key here is supportive.........good arches, not tight in the heel area, wide at the front so the toes are not affected by the toe-heel-toe pressure of walking.

Light weight is very important, but the shoe must be supportive in order to avoid blisters.  There are a myriad of shoes available, but there are probably only one or two pairs that will fit the bill for your feet.  I hate to name names, but I was looking for a comfortable pair of shoes the other day, and I came upon a pair that was almost perfect for what I needed.  They were feather light, had good arch support, wasn't crimping on any part of my foot, and something I have not seen in any other shoe...........a cut- out on the sole at exactly where  the walking stride bends. I would highly suggest for you to look at the walking shoes made by Sketcher. If these don't fit the part, than try on some other shoes so you can get the best possible fit for your feet.

Brogans are Army boots, and the last thing in the world to ruin your feet would be those heavy duty, ill- fitting monsters!

Good luck in your venture to find your perfect pair, and congratulations on your endurance for long- distance walking.........a great way to stay healthy.

Dr. Patricia Arthur

Sports Medicine

Dr. Patricia B. Arthur, DC, MRC, CST

As a 30-year practicing Chiropractic Physician, my specialty was Sports Medicine. For 8 years I had the distinct pleasure of working with the USOC, and traveled the world to care for the athletes in the Pre-Olympic venues for the Summer Games. When I wasn't traveling, I had a private practice, and a hospital practice, in Kamuela, Hawai'i. Questions I couldn't answer usually dealt with pharmeceuticals. This was not my expertise, but the simple questions pertaining to familiar drugs I was able to digress, or refer to someone that was knowledgable in that field. Most Sports Medicine field injuries were familiar to me, but I always aired on the side of caution. In my office practice, I would tend to see more patients with the weekend injuries who would try to self-treat, only making the injury worse than it should have been! Nevertheless, I never took anything for granted, and so it was my conservative approach to the "cause-and-effect" mechanisms that were vitally important to the healing process.

Following my competitive nature, I knew Sports Medicine would always be a part of my life. After graduation from Palmer University in Iowa, the old adage taught at the school dealt only with the spinal column......anything connected to the spine was outside our scope of practice. To me, this was too simplistic, because the complex body also had arms and legs! From this point, I developed specific technigues which would encorporate the body as a whole rather than haphazard segments. There is nothing traumatic that happens to a single ligament, tendon or joint that doesn't effect a secondary, or possibly a tertiary element in that area. In order for that space to heal, all the factors must be addressed. Volunteering my time teaching referrees, coaches, and interested parents about the realities of probable sports injuries was worth a thousand words!j

American Chiropractic Association; Local Emergency Response Committee; Hazardous Materials Response Team; Urban Search and Rescue Team - Operations and Planning; Federal Corps of Engineers Committee; Earthquake Advisory Board; Big Island Wildfire Committee

Papers published focusing on the importance of proper care of sports injuries; Authored medical columns for the syndicated magazine "The People's Doctor "; Published papers in professional journals on Head Injuries in Sports; Published papers on Drug Abuse in Sports.

Robert Packer Hospital - Certified Surgical Technician - CST; Palmer University - Doctor of Chiropractic - D.C.; Wright State University - Masters in Counseling/Psychology; Wright State University - Masters In Couseling of the Severely Disabled.

Selected US Olympic Physician -1988; Graduated Wright State University with a 3.75 GPA; Graduated Palmer University with a 3.5 GPA; Faculty Appointment - Palmer University Post Graduate Education; Faculty Appointment- Hawai'i/Kapiolani Community College - Skills Team Tester;

Cincinnati Bengals Football Team pre-season training; Summer Olympic Athletes worldwide; Kona Ironman Triathletes - Finish - line physician