Sports Medicine/Knee injury

Hi doctor I m a teenage girl and I m 16. Recently I ran down a steep hill stumble and fell. I felt my right knee pop and there was pain. I put it of as there was no swelling at first but there was a little bit if swelling the next day  and it healed within four days. Now I would notice that my right knee is unstable like it is giving way, there is pain on the outter side and back of my knee, I would hear/feel a pop and clicking and my knee would feel like its burning and become hot sometimes. I want to ask what problems are there with my right knee and should I go and see a doctor?

Hello Jenny!

Well, you must have taken quite a fall to cause all those problems!  Many times when there is an injury to the body, there is hardly any feeling
from the injury due to the shock of the impact.  You have reached the point where you are now exhibiting the injuries in your knee.

Firstly, your idea of seeing a doctor is a very good one, and I hope you can find a great Orthopedic person who will do a good job at diagnosing the pieces affected.  Secondly, without an xray, nor any other diagnostic equipment to examine e knee, I will have to guess that you tore your Lateral Colateral Ligament, which hooks the knee straight. Then with the twist you had, you might have torn the meniscus under the knee. This is like the cushion under the knee cap.  Understand Jenny, there are no broken bones in your knee, just soft tissue which must be fixed back into place to make the knee strong again.

The popping and clicking noise could be the ligaments as they pass over the end of the bones. You have also damaged the Anterior Cruciat Ligament in the front of the knee, and this is one of the reasons v why your knee feels as though it will collapse on you.

All in all, there should be no hesitation to see a doctor as soon as possible.  If it will be a few days before you can get in to see him, I would suggest getting an elastic bandage to give the knee some support, and limit your walking...No almost nothing.

I wish you the best in your rehabilitation, Jenny, and just be very careful until you can see the Specialist.

Please let me know how it turns out.....I care.

Dr Patricia Arthur

Sports Medicine

Dr. Patricia B. Arthur, DC, MRC, CST

As a 30-year practicing Chiropractic Physician, my specialty was Sports Medicine. For 8 years I had the distinct pleasure of working with the USOC, and traveled the world to care for the athletes in the Pre-Olympic venues for the Summer Games. When I wasn't traveling, I had a private practice, and a hospital practice, in Kamuela, Hawai'i. Questions I couldn't answer usually dealt with pharmeceuticals. This was not my expertise, but the simple questions pertaining to familiar drugs I was able to digress, or refer to someone that was knowledgable in that field. Most Sports Medicine field injuries were familiar to me, but I always aired on the side of caution. In my office practice, I would tend to see more patients with the weekend injuries who would try to self-treat, only making the injury worse than it should have been! Nevertheless, I never took anything for granted, and so it was my conservative approach to the "cause-and-effect" mechanisms that were vitally important to the healing process.

Following my competitive nature, I knew Sports Medicine would always be a part of my life. After graduation from Palmer University in Iowa, the old adage taught at the school dealt only with the spinal column......anything connected to the spine was outside our scope of practice. To me, this was too simplistic, because the complex body also had arms and legs! From this point, I developed specific technigues which would encorporate the body as a whole rather than haphazard segments. There is nothing traumatic that happens to a single ligament, tendon or joint that doesn't effect a secondary, or possibly a tertiary element in that area. In order for that space to heal, all the factors must be addressed. Volunteering my time teaching referrees, coaches, and interested parents about the realities of probable sports injuries was worth a thousand words!j

American Chiropractic Association; Local Emergency Response Committee; Hazardous Materials Response Team; Urban Search and Rescue Team - Operations and Planning; Federal Corps of Engineers Committee; Earthquake Advisory Board; Big Island Wildfire Committee

Papers published focusing on the importance of proper care of sports injuries; Authored medical columns for the syndicated magazine "The People's Doctor "; Published papers in professional journals on Head Injuries in Sports; Published papers on Drug Abuse in Sports.

Robert Packer Hospital - Certified Surgical Technician - CST; Palmer University - Doctor of Chiropractic - D.C.; Wright State University - Masters in Counseling/Psychology; Wright State University - Masters In Couseling of the Severely Disabled.

Selected US Olympic Physician -1988; Graduated Wright State University with a 3.75 GPA; Graduated Palmer University with a 3.5 GPA; Faculty Appointment - Palmer University Post Graduate Education; Faculty Appointment- Hawai'i/Kapiolani Community College - Skills Team Tester;

Cincinnati Bengals Football Team pre-season training; Summer Olympic Athletes worldwide; Kona Ironman Triathletes - Finish - line physician