Sports Medicine/Costal cartilage injury

Question
4 weeks ago while performing dips I felt my sternum "move" the left side flexing outward, while the right side flexed inward, and immediately stopped the activity. There was no pain, but when muscles cooled the pain set in.  My doctor told me I "unhinged" by rib joints. The joints injured are ribs #3&4 on the right side of sternum and 5&6 on the left. i

I am healing but need to understand what I could have done to cause this injury and how to prevent it from happening again.  Dips are a routine part of my workout, rotating the activity in every couple weeks;  I like variety. I was not straining and was not tired.  My doctor said 3weeks healing time, but at 4 weeks I can say I am only about 75% and I have read healing can take as long as 3-4 months. Should I seek PT when I am ready to return to "upper body" activities? Also at 52, I am wondering if age is a factor.

Answer
Dear Leila,

This Orthopedic Chicago Podiatrist located in West Loop 60661,Roscoe Village 60618, Elmhurst 60126 & Bartlett 60103 says...
For your rib pain.
There may be some arthritis around the joint connecting to the sternum. This would cause an irritation in that area. If it seems like a minor strain, then give it time to heal. Stop the dips and replace with pressing with weights or pushups. When you were dipping the outward pull at the sternum caused the irritation. There is no such thing as unhinging a rib joint-it would be dislocated & need treatment-more probably a strain of the joint. If it continues to hurt-or gets worse-then go see an orthopedist. Age is not necessarily a factor-with the exception of possible arthritis. Modify your routine & continue to exercise! Perhaps speak to a knowledgeable PT who works with athletes and can give you exercises. Unless you are really injured-get the exercises from the PT & do on your own.
Hope this helps.
Good Luck!
The podiatrists of AnkleNFootCenters.com are specialists in orthopedics and sports medicine.
We are located in Chicago & Elmhurst

Dr George Tsatsos & Svetlana Zats
Podiatrist Chicago 60618 & Elmhurst 60126 Podiatrists
Board Certified in Foot and Ankle Surgery & Orthopedics
New South Loop Location-Chicago 60661

DISCLAIMER:
This information is offered as free advice and as general information. It may not be applicable to the specific questioner and his/her problem.  It is not based on actual knowledge of the questioner or his/her medical history and it cannot and should not be relied upon as definitive medical opinion or advice.  Reliable medical opinion and advice can only be obtained through hands-on physical contact and exam of the patient to establish an accurate diagnosis and treatment plan.  No doctor/patient relationship is created or established here and may not be inferred through answers on this site.  The questioner and other readers must consult his/her own doctor before proceeding or implementing any suggestions contained within this document and answers on this site.  The questioner is only to act upon his/her own doctor’s orders and recommendations. By reading this posting which follows, the reader fully understands and confirms that he/she holds harmless this writer. If this is not fully agreeable to you, the reader, and/or you have not attained the age of 18 years, you hereby are advised to read no further.

Sports Medicine

Dr George Tsatsos