Sports Medicine/Distal fibulasfracture

I have a distal fibula fracture.  I got immediate medical treatment and it was splinted.  Saw an orthopedic surgeon who said the other bones are still aligned.  He left the splint on and will X-ray it again in a week.  If the ankle bones are still stable and haven't moved, he plans to put me in a boot rather than a cast. Is this normal protocol?  I was expecting it would be casted.

Hi CJ,

Sorry to hear of your injury. Yes, it can be normal protocol to go into a boot. The boot should be a tall one, one which goes up to just below your knee, as opposed to a short boot, which just supports your ankle. The nice things about the boot is that your specialist may allow you to come out of the boot to shower, so long as you remain non weight bearing.

Good luck and best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Kind regards,

Sports Medicine

Hope T. Horton, RN, BSN

Questions related to knee, shoulder, hip and ankle injuries, including treatment options and what is involved in recovery from injuries including surgical and non surgical interventions.

I an a registered nurse and have worked in orthopaedics and sports medicine for over twenty years (since 1993).

Graduated summa cum laude as the valedictorian from Regis University in Denver, CO with my BSN. Prior to that I was an EMT working in emergency rooms in Vail, CO and Denver, CO as well as on an ambulance in Vail, CO.

Elected Valedictorian of my class and awarded to Regent Award for excellence in academics. Elected to Phi Beta Kappa.