Sports Medicine/Distal fibulasfracture

Question
I have a distal fibula fracture.  I got immediate medical treatment and it was splinted.  Saw an orthopedic surgeon who said the other bones are still aligned.  He left the splint on and will X-ray it again in a week.  If the ankle bones are still stable and haven't moved, he plans to put me in a boot rather than a cast. Is this normal protocol?  I was expecting it would be casted.

Answer
Hi CJ,

Sorry to hear of your injury. Yes, it can be normal protocol to go into a boot. The boot should be a tall one, one which goes up to just below your knee, as opposed to a short boot, which just supports your ankle. The nice things about the boot is that your specialist may allow you to come out of the boot to shower, so long as you remain non weight bearing.

Good luck and best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Kind regards,
Hope

Sports Medicine

Hope T. Horton, RN, BSN